1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting Passed By Wikipedia - Nofollow Links Pass LinkJuice?

Discussion in 'Google' started by digga121, Sep 15, 2008.

Our site got passed by google by the one and only Wikipedia ...

I hear it is almost impossible to outrank them, but I have a few questions that will help us with this, and some more things in the future ...

1) Wikipidea has changed there links to , no follow, does Wikipidea pass any "Link Juice". If they don't, will it benifit the ranking of the site if adding a link to it?

2) If we add our site to wikipidea, will it increase our chances of outranking wikipidea, and if not, what are some things that can help?

Thanks in Advance.

digga121, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  2. ddkoh92

ddkoh92 Peon

Best Answers:
    lol!!...they outranked you on your main keyword?..that must kinda suck. Hmm...I don't think it will help at all, Google won't pass pagerank juice to you.

ddkoh92, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  3. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I don't think links from wikipedia will help anymore. You'll just have to work at getting more quality back links. It is not almost impossible to outrank wikipedia though, otherwise they would show up first for virtually every search term. I guess for some niches the wikipedia page would have a stronger foothold on their ranking. In some niches a lot of websites would link to the wikipedia page as a resource for their visitors. In other niches the wikipedia page really only has internal links.

vansterdam, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  4. MakeADifference

MakeADifference Peon

Best Answers:
    If you try too many times to put a link on Some Wiki Page, Your IP will be blocked.
    WikiPedia's TOS states that if is not an advertising platform.
    Unless your link is really worthy to be on that Wiki Page, it will be removed by the editors.

MakeADifference, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  5. durham-productions

durham-productions Guest

Best Answers:
    Has it actually affected your traffic? In my experience, the top 3 or 4 sites receive a similar amount of visitors. If your site is commercial, I would worry even less, as you're not in direct competition with Wikipedia.

Whilst you're asking, however, adding a link to your signature would help ;)

durham-productions, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  6. SearchBliss

SearchBliss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Two Wikipedia writers added two links to sub pages of my site, one about Meta Tags, and I cannot remember the other...maybe SEO Tools. I received 0 traffic from it as far as I can see.

Wikipedia is also very strict about the links on their site. If you add them, they will be removed.

SearchBliss, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  7. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    External links from wikipedia are nofollow. However internal links are 'dofollow'. That means that a keyword can be pushed up to the no. spot in google on the strength of internal linking alone. About a year ago someone (seomoz?) did a video on it, demonstrating that you could block anyone from having a top spot for practically any keyword, by nudging wiki to that spot by putting internal links in wikipedia articles.

magda, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  8. digga121

digga121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ya, actually I think it was seomoz! Well someone did it to us, so need to know if there's a way of passing that wiki page once were passed...

Will adding more pages to our site relevent to topic, and KW give us any better of a chance , if there is any, of getting rank back?

..Site already listed in DMOZ, will getting listed in other directories give us more of a chance also? Anyone have any experiences with this , and actually able to re-gain there rank above the wiki page?

Thanks!

Thanks!

digga121, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  9. SearchBliss

SearchBliss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Create more relevant content and things will eventually improve. Just don't get hung up on the Wiki page. There is no fast option here, and most people don't spend much time on Wikipedia. Most will continue looking at search results after visiting, unless they are looking for a quick answer to their query.

SearchBliss, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  10. Rexibit

Rexibit Peon

Best Answers:
    I would get a link on that Wiki page as a reference. NoFollow links do pass link juice, just not as much as they would without that attribute. You are not after link juice anyway, you are after authority. That is one reason why Wiki ranks high, they have authority.

You should also create a couple pages that are informational, and use them as references in other wiki articles. This would give you several sources of links from Wiki, and it would push your site up quicker than doing nothing.

I agree with the others that there are no good solutions to this other than building up more backlinks.

Rexibit, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  11. Bbau01

Bbau01 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have some wiki links, and they are good for traffic. Also, I have picked up backlinks, as scraper sites have copied the page - my link and all...

Bbau01, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  12. fiberwire

fiberwire Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? My understanding was that nofollow did NOT pass any juice. That was the whole point of nofollow: to be able to link to a site that you weren't sure had value or not.

fiberwire, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  13. ddkoh92

ddkoh92 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you could find the internal link to that article within wikipedia and remove it, that way that page might not list as high. Xp...haha

ddkoh92, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  14. megacontent

megacontent Guest

Best Answers:
    I think maybe the nofollow links do have juice. I put a link there to my site and it raised... then the page was deleted and my site fell with it. Google can do whatever it wants with its algorithm... there are no guarantees.

megacontent, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  15. expiringdomains

expiringdomains Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i have my few site links accepted in Wikipedia.

If your link is useful and helps wikipedia in ealaborating and the Wikipedia Management considers it useful the link is added to wikipedia pages and it may be a great source of traffic whether it is a do follow or no follow link.

expiringdomains, Sep 16, 2008 IP