1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting more than one domain name

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by noelves, Nov 3, 2005.

Hi everyone,

New person here. I have a domain name for my website that is too long and can be hard to type in. (I obviously didn't take that into consideration when I bought it). Anyway, I want to buy a shorter version that points to my site, without changing the domain name that I have now.

I know people register more than one domain name for their site. How do they use these other names to get to their site?

Not sure if all that makes sense. I know what I want to ask, just not sure how to ask it.

Thanks,
    noelves

noelves, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  2. ozegreatdeals

ozegreatdeals Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this answers your question:

You can do this one of two ways that I know of.. others might know more.

1. Purchase new domain name then forward the new current domain name to your existing domain name - i.e. type in domain1.com and its loads domain.com

2. This option depends on your hosting, you can use what they call "Addon Domains" via cpanel. you simply change the nameservers of your new domain name to match the nameservers of your hosting, then it creates a sub-folder for the new domain name, you can then from cpanel use a redirect to make the sub-folder load your main folder. This is all dependent on whether your hosting account allows addon domains

Drew.

ozegreatdeals, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  3. noelves

noelves Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.

I do remember seeing a redirect in my cpanel, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. (It didn't come with instructions, just a near blank page with a text box and the word redirect).

Ok, so you saying, buy the other domain name and then type that url into the redirect text box and that will set me up with a subdomain folder. Is that right?

noelves, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  4. ozegreatdeals

ozegreatdeals Peon

Best Answers:
    It won't create a sub-folder this way, all you do is redirect the new domain name once purchased to your older domain name.
    So where it says redirect, on your new domain name: put in your current domain name

Drew.

ozegreatdeals, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  5. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    Or you can ask to domain parking (wich most hosts do for free) and then set it to responde with a HTTP 301 code via htaccess

eduardomaio, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  6. philately

philately Guest

Best Answers:
    you can forward a domain on several ways !

philately, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  7. blogvp.com

blogvp.com Peon

Best Answers:
    do what eduardomaio recommends, ask your host and they'll probably have an easy way to do it.

then both domains will work with your content

Andy

blogvp.com, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  8. noelves

noelves Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll check with my host and see what's available on their end.

noelves

noelves, Nov 4, 2005 IP