1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

getting members

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Lpspider, Apr 16, 2006.

I have a forum that's been there for a few months with a few regular members, but the member count (and posts) aren't really increasing. What ist he best way to go about doing this? I need active members.

Lpspider, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  2. Meads

Meads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could try one of the many payed posting services

Meads, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  3. Jelf

Jelf Banned

Best Answers:
    i am sending u a pm now

Jelf, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  4. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not looking for posts. I even run a paid posting service - I'm looking for members interested in the topic who will come back and post regularly.

Lpspider, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  5. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My best advice is to go to http://www.big-boards.com and find the top forums that are related to yours. Go to those and post good, quality posts with a link back in your signature (where allowed!) This is what I have had the most success with personally, by far. It's free, it's effective...the only downside is that it requires time.

The other thing to do/remember is to give your members a reason to come back. Are you pumping in fresh content every day? Do you offer anything unique that they can't get anywhere else? If you don't have these two things, you won't have many active members.

GTAce, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  6. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried the big boards idea, but it seems that most don't allow signatures.

I'm keeping it active, but still struggling.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Lpspider, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  7. MakZF

MakZF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Find one that does allow signatures then. Also have something like a referral contest, this will motivate people to invite friends and potential active posters :)

MakZF, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  8. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Put some contests if you can affoard to spend some money. Put some hot topics on forums so visitors would like to post their views also. And i think paid posting services to be frank are of no use cause they might give you few initial posts but after job is completed no one comes back to the forum, so it doesnt help to get regular posters.

Cheers

paidhosting, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  9. R0ck$tAr

R0ck$tAr Guest

Best Answers:
    Why not try a paid to post mod or a points system they are available for vbulletin and phpbb

R0ck$tAr, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  10. Skribblez

Skribblez Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, that's what I do.. :) I have also found it to be very effective!

If you can't find anything in Big-Boards, try Google or MSN ;) Your bound to find a forum you can join and post around to give your link targeted exposure.

If there's a general chat section, post something that will spark alot of replies. For examples, look at the topics in the General Chat section here at DP..

Skribblez, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  11. ForumPosts

ForumPosts Peon

Best Answers:
    Slightly ironic, but what they heck - Although I haven't been using it for forums, I'm finding google adwords extremely good if you use targeted keywords (though too targeted and it's just a waiting game as you tend to find "niche" keywords have minimal impressions).

Try to think what your targeted audience would search for if they were using google.

ForumPosts, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  12. *Mayank*

*Mayank* Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The best way is to find forums of your type and go do signature advertising there. One of the effective ways is signature advertising and it gives best results.
    Other way out is, start some contests if you can pay.
    Some of the other ways are register some accounts on your site by yourself or hire somebody to do it, thats a good show off, but remember, if you dont have a lot of posts, dont do it. The best ratio is 20:1 and minimum is 10:1. That means every posts 1 member should be there and so if you got 2000 posts and 50members then you can make it to 200, thats best but if you have 200 and less posts, dont try registerations trick.

Other Ideas is Paid Posting.

Well, if you need help with it, you can contact me. I am experianced in Forum Solutions.

Oh, I forgot.. SEO of the site, MOST IMPORTANT.
    SEO IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING as that brings natural traffic to your site.
    If you have a good PR and good ranking in search engines, your site is likely to get traffic. List your site in as many directories as you can.
    List out at search engines, submit sitemap to google.
    SEO results are come after sometime gaps....... most effective way!

Good luck!

*Mayank*, Apr 22, 2006 IP