1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting Listed in DMOZ. Can anybody help?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JapaneseCupid, Nov 27, 2012.

1. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now we have Q #2 :( Thats old news and has been explained thousands of times before.

snooks, Dec 8, 2012 IP
  2. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Sorry I missed that explanation (excuse) please enlighten me.

signed Q2

joeventura, Dec 9, 2012 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Search and read the old threads......

snooks, Dec 9, 2012 IP
  4. joeventura

Best Answers:
    yes let me go back and read the history according to ...............

I'd rather have dental surgery.

joeventura, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd be happy to oblige :)

jimnoble, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, so I get it.... Topix can have TWENTY THOUSAND deep links of syndicated content, but a cookie cutter dating site that serves different demographics breaks the guidelines.

GOT IT! Thanks for clearing that up!

And the explanation of why Topix can have sooooooooooooooooooooo many listings that break the guidelines is because the owners of the ODP itself have no issues what so ever of breaking their own guidelines, so it stands to reason that the guidelines are meant to be broken, so long as you are an editor :D

I mean, look at this very thread for an example. The ODP has no issues with syndicated content, that is seen through the addition of so many Topix listings. But get a site with the same set up with DIFFERENT content, and that is a NO GO. Simple as pie right? Want multiple listings? Become an editor!

Qryztufre, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So that is why you became an editor? Did you get them? Or is your advice here just more hot air?

Anonymously, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  8. joeventura

Best Answers:

Stick to collecting websites.:cool::cool:

joeventura, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, its good to know you are not denying my claims this time... and yes, I have multiple listings.

Qryztufre, Dec 14, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Just to be clear.....You as an editor did multiple listings for your own site....yes/no

Anonymously, Dec 14, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    No, I only listed one of my sites, which is well within the guidelines of the ODP. So what exactly is your point?

I do have several sites listed...

Are you trying to justify me listing one site of my own that is and was well within the guidelines to a site owned by another editor with thousands upon thousands of deeplinks most of which break multiple guidelines?

GREAT DEFENSE!

Qryztufre, Dec 14, 2012 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    No your advice was to become an editor to get multiple listings
    ,but your multiple listings had nothing to do with being an editor.

Anonymously, Dec 14, 2012 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    WOW... I must be Skrenta.

What kind of drugs do you take before logging into Digital Point?

Now go on & quote the rest of that reply of mine.

Skrenta has tens of thousands of deeplinks. There are multiple editors with multiple listings.

True or False?

Now do not turn this on me... I listed my own site, a few others, all in the middle of the big crash while most options were broken, and then left for personal reasons... none of which have anything to do with any of this.

Editors are allowed to list their own sites. That is even in the guidelines.

If you want to turn this around on me fine... is my listing outwardly different than any other? Keyword hyped? Wrong category? Lacking unique content? What is the trouble. Seriously, you keep bringing MY site up and the fact I listed it. now tell us just what is wrong with it?

Which is odd that you can not, as you seemingly bring me up each time I bring Topix up which breaks just how many guidelines?

Nice diverson to cover the corruption of the existing editors! is that your game here? make an ex editor look bad for listing a listable site in order to defend another site that breaks at least 5 guidelines? IT'S NOT WORKING!

Qryztufre, Dec 20, 2012 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Ok here it is
    and you are still giving out the misleading information that becoming an editor means you can make multiple listings.Yet you said that was not how you got yours and you have yet to acknowledge that Skrenta was a founder of DMOZ and founders usually do what they like, so if you want multiple listings on a directory start your own or buy DMOZ from its present owners if you want them there, because Topix is not there just because the site owner was an editor. But it is also true that any editor who wishes to review ANY site,within their privs, and feels that it is not guideline compliant can remove it from the public directory and that I repeat is for any site.

So let's rephrase your statement.If you want multiple listings for certain in DMOZ buy it.....no good becoming and editor that will not automatically get them. They have to be earned, and I am sure that your sites deserve any multiple listing they have and when your site did not work it was removed from the public directory until it was reviewed by an editor found working and returned to the public side of the directory.

Anonymously, Dec 22, 2012 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    that is not the rest of it...

Now who is the one that is misleading?

and are you saying that Skrenta does not have multiple listings? Or that many other editors do not have multiple listings?

I would wager that editors have more multiple listings than non-editors. And I can certainly show that at least one editor has had the privilege of ignoring the guidelines to get them.

Qryztufre, Dec 24, 2012 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I will repeat it simply.

Yes editors do have multiple listings, but that is not because they are editors it is because, like yours, the site deserves multiple listings. If you want to guarantee multiple listings in DMOZ offer AOL a few million dollars and perhaps they will accept and then you can do what you like, as most founders do.

Please show me an editor, other than a founder, who has ignored guidelines to get multiple listings, perhaps you?

As with any site,like when yours was down and removed by an editor, it waited untilan editor reviewed it and it was restored. If any sites, including Topix are reviewed, and editors can choose which sites and areas they want to review and they deem that it should be removed they can remove it. If you look you can find hundreds of pages for non-founders that were also listed to seed the directory that would not now be listed as such. But because they are in, they tend to stay there.One day the editors will have a debate when an editor raises the matter and they might/might not be removed.

But your premise was that if you wanted multiple listings that one should become and editor, and my response from the beginning was that becoming an editor will not get you multiple listings anymore than a site owned by a noneditor and the particular site you talk about was owned by a founder, not just an editor, when the sites were first listed. Its simple,well unless one has an axe to grind, like you do,and then seeks to try and twist anything anyway that they can. Pity really, for an editor who listed 6 sites including ones own, which was no bad deal, you sure do have a massive chip against the CIA, the person who threatened your life???? No against a directory, you do look very foolish to me.

Anonymously, Dec 24, 2012 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Stopped reading right there...

So, lets sum up.

Deeplinking URLs : General Rule: In the vast majority of categories and branches, deeplinking is the exception rather than the rule. Deeplinks should offer content that is unique and extremely useful to a particular category.

The syndicated content that the ODP is linking too for Topix does NOT fit that rule yet it deserves nearly 20,000 deeplinks

Sites to Include : Original, unique and valuable informational content that contributes something unique to the category's subject.

Once again, nearly 20,000 deeplinks all of syndicated content does NOT fit this rule.

About the Open Directory Project
    : The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.

They were put there by a bot

Founder or not, his affiliated listing falls down to LEAD BY EXAMPLE...as if the leaders can not follow the guidelines how can they expect anyone else to?

And as for my multiple listings only one of my sites was added while I was an editor... and I only added the one, and that one conformed to the guidelines.

Conflict of interest? Not for my listing, or even listings. YES for Topix
    Unique content? Yes for my listing, and listings, NO for topix
    Deep Linking? Not for my listing or listings, YES for Topix

So your point?

Qryztufre, Dec 28, 2012 IP
  18. abo2512

abo2512 Peon

Best Answers:
    The ones that I checked visibly cross link to each other so one listing is enough/plenty.

abo2512, Dec 28, 2012 IP
  19. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That the founders and the owners of ODP can do what they want, given they pay the bills and own it. Many Topix Sites have been removed and many will be removed in time to come.

Now any person with commonsense wouldnt argue the point that "When you own something, you can do with it what you want".

I cant believe that you still bleat about this, daily, after all these years RAFLMAO

snooks, Dec 28, 2012 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Can you tell me when the present guidelines were actually put in place? Have they changed from when the directory was first started?And if you don't know please don't comment on matters you have no knowledge of.

Secondly,you have pointed out the obvious, that it is a human edited directory and as I said any site IF REVIEWED BY A VOLUNTEER EDITOR CHOOSING TO EDIT IN THAT AREA is seen as not meeting up with the guidelines then the editor can remove it. Snooks has told you some Topix sites have been removed, but DMOZ and its editors operate the policy I have mentioned and they do not intend now or ever to do your bidding. But if you don't like the Topix sites go and flag any up under the update a site provision and they will be looked at at in DUE time when an editor volunteers to look at them. So why bother to whinge about them when you can't be bothered to flag them up.....Oh yes I know because you are also carrying a huge chip on your shoulder about DMOZ and any chance to twist or belittle it you take.You too must be pickled in your own vitriol by now. Such a sad person.

Anonymously, Dec 29, 2012 IP