1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting Killed by a Competitor and the Slugs at DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jawinn, Mar 7, 2006.

I have noticed a disturbing trend on one of my competitor’s number of links. They have a ton of PR 4 (I know that’s not a big deal to some here, but it is to me) links from various sites. On the surface these sites look like run of the mill free web directories. I became pretty angry when I saw that these sites are in fact somehow linking directly to and/or getting all their listings from DMOZ. Can some one tell me how a site (my competitor) can get link credit from a directory that is essentially a cheap mirror site for DMOZ? I submitted my site to them months ago and I haven’t been added yet. And yes I know it takes forever for them to get around to adding sites but this is ridiculous. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

jawinn, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, they must be listed in the DMOZ and those sites are using the DMOZ dump to populate their scraper directories. You can't put a timetable on a DMOZ submission, it could take months or even years to get listed... if ever. You'll likely never know the status of a submission either, whether you were rejected or even reviewed.

Submit it and forget it my friend. Concentrate on making your site better for your visitors and if your site's listable, it will probably be listed eventually.

mdvaldosta, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  3. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Huh?

Not that it makes any sense but SO WHAT!?

You've done all you can do. Now get to work and try to get some links from some other good sites. :)

Crazy_Rob, Mar 7, 2006 IP
    compostannie and Alucard like this.