1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

getting indexed by Yahoo

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by fluke, Aug 14, 2004.

1. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    Must be something else to it because I have been up for well over a year, have two XML feeds (content and forum) which are both listed in damned near every RSS directory out there, I have done mod rewrites, have a special read only version of my forum which is all mod rewritten along with a forum map, two different site maps, 14000 + backlinks (in yahoo) and also a blog on blogspot.com that gets pinged regularly, has links to most pages on my other site including XML feeds of my content on my regular site.

Now MSN and Google have more than 3000 pages indexed between the two of them, yahoo has 1.

It is the most ridicules thing I have seen in my life.

The funny thing is that Slurp crawls the heck out of my site daily.

chiefshuddle, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  2. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    I forgot to note that myself and 200+ members have my yahoo pages with both RSS content feeds added as well.

If this doesn't put that myth to bed then I don't know what will.

3. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's why i said i do not know which action actually makes slurp came and index my pages. I know some said it's a myth and it does not work. If it is just a coincidence, I apologise.
    So, it must mean that the the url submission to yahoo have weight, because i submitted to yahoo and have rss feed at the same time.

warm regards :D

iskandar, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  4. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't doubt that you did something that worked, I am simply stating that I have done everything possible that I have read about in order to make yahoo index more of my site and have failed miserably. If anyone out there has any other suggestions I would be more than happy to try them as well.

5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you're doing well in both Google and MSN, why even worry about Yahoo?

I know how my sites are doing in Google and MSN... I rarely even look at Yahoo. I don't use it as a search engine myself. I know from occasional checks that they have a lot of page indexed and that my rankings are acceptable to pretty good but I get little or no traffic from Yahoo (I get more even from Ask Jeeves and other smaller directories and engines). I don't lose any sleep over what Yahoo does or does not do... I see them as a distant #3 to the other two.

minstrel, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  6. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    I would disagree and say Yahoo has a bigger market share than MSN.

Yahoo was bringing in 20-30% more traffic than MSN, even though the rankings on MSN were in higher positions for the same keywords. For someone blasted by the Bourbon update, to take another hit in Yahoo does become significant... but life goes on..

spdude, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, as I've said before, I suspect that which SE gets used depends partly on what people are looking for... Google is the best for research and information; Yahoo seems to be preferred by certain kinds of on-line shoppers; MSN seems to cover the middle ground.

Whatever the reason, despite some fairly decent Yahoo rankings, I just don't see a lot of referrals from them.

minstrel, Jun 14, 2005 IP