1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

getting indexed by Yahoo

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by fluke, Aug 14, 2004.

Hi - after waiting a few months i have finally got indexed by yahoo - however - it seems that it has only indexed my home page- should i have submitted every page in my site?

now it has indexed my home page - will it index the rest of my site automatically or will i have to manually submit the other pages ? (i have no IBLS to other pages in my site - but they are all linked one way or another to my home page)

fluke, Aug 14, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    at this point you don't even NEED to submit to search engines anymore. I don't bother. just get some good steady incoming links from different domains and you should be set.

I'd imagine that submitting internal pages makes no difference at all.. my guess is that you just have to wait.

disgust, Aug 14, 2004 IP
  3. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    OK - thanks

fluke, Aug 14, 2004 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LINKS LINKS LINKS, that is what is going to encourage yahoo! slurp to spider you. After all why shoud they deep spider you for free when they can get you to pay for the privelidge?

Yahoo will spider you if they think your worthy.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 14, 2004 IP
  5. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    are you suggesting i need some IBLs into the deeper pages on my site? - or just more to my home page?

fluke, Aug 15, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Assuming that your site navigation is complete and properly setup, IBLs to the home page should be sufficient I believe

compar, Aug 15, 2004 IP
  7. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo will find the others pages of your site on it's own. Get as many incoming links from like sites as you can and you will hasten the indexing.

AJ

Spyware Remover, Aug 31, 2004 IP
    frankm likes this.
  8. samsam

samsam Peon

Best Answers:
    A competitor of mine has linkdomain:domain.com showing 25k links.
    My website shows 194k links.

My competitor shows site:domain.com as 80k pages
    My website only shows 1500.

What can I do about it except buying more links ?

samsam, May 23, 2005 IP
  9. tradefor

tradefor Peon

Best Answers:
    I empathize very much with Fluke, although my site is much different in scale.

I have a small site with 22 live pages of content. Slurp visists about every day (including today), but the bandwidth used each time is tiny, and I still have only 3 pages Indexed in Yahoo vs. all in Google, and even 15 in MSN where the identifiable MSN bot on my logs hasn't been back since May 15th.
    My page sizes always come out of the checkers as way too big, so there is no deep crawl from Yahoo - the bandwidth used would probably be about 1 page's worth
    My search traffic shows that I haven't had a single Yahoo generated Search in 3 days.

The discrepancy can't be attributed to Links as Google shows none (as in: not any, zero), while Yahoo (& MSN) knows about 20 or so ( I cannot imagine how much work it must be to maintain 125K Links, btw)

Is this Yahoo essentially forcing a paid submission for all newish sites??? :(

tradefor, May 23, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, tradefor, the more common complaint is that Yahoo's spider (Slurp) is overly aggressive at spidering sites, new and old, but getting that data it grabs to appear in the Yahoo SE can take ages...

Another strategy for spider bait: New content. Daily if possible. Even small changes to your pages will do. And then make sure you have a text link to a site map on the home page with TEXT LINKS to all important pages on your site.

minstrel, May 23, 2005 IP
  11. tradefor

tradefor Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the tips.

Flycasting as we speak.

tradefor, May 23, 2005 IP
  12. Blue

Blue Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't feel bad.

For one of my hobby sites I have only three pages indexed by Yahoo. The site has been up since 2001 with 8,600 backlinks. Go figure.

When Yahoo was using Google results I had 300,000 pages indexed.

Here is the search result from today using the linkdomain command.

Blue, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  13. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    I know what you mean, I have been indexed with one page in yahoo for well over a year even though Slurp crawls my site on a daily basis. It makes no sense at all.

chiefshuddle, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  14. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO Yahoo do not care much for links to your site too much.
    I have almost none good links (apart from my sig files in forums) pointing to my site and almost all of my 100+ pages are now indexed. My only complain is the fact that Slurp visits daily BUT have been slow at updating the pages content.

My site is about 3 weeks old and i receive around 50-60 visits daily from yahoo. If not because of yahoo .. i wouldn't receive any visits at all. Google sandboxed all new sites for few months before you get better ranks whereas yahoo let your pages get good rank even if it's new.

I am not sure what i did that ACTUALLY get the yahoo bot (slurp) to come because i did 2 things. One is submitting my site to yahoo as almost everyone did .. the second is using the rss feed trick that ppl have been talking about. That is create rss feed file in your site, open a yahoo account and add content from your own site using the rss feed. I also bookmarked my own site in my yahoo account.

Some ppl believe that a link like that is good (since it comes from yahoo itself). I dunno if it's true. Like i posted before, after doing these 2 things, slurp came after 3 days and almost instantly get a few pages indexed. After that it makes daily visit and add more pages.

I like yahoo .. if not because of yahoo .. i would not receive any traffic at all ..

iskandar, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  15. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Iskandar,

There is some great advice in your post. But can you tell me how to bookmark a site in My Yahoo?

compar, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I suspect superstitious thinking here but assuming there's some validity to it:

- open your My Yahoo page
    - depending on how you've custoimized your layout, look in left column (upper right in my case) and click on Bookmarks | My Bookmarks | Add
    - add url for your site

- then go to right column bottom | Add content
    - add your RSS feed

minstrel, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  17. iskandar

Best Answers:
    There you go Bob,

that's how you'd do it. i know some scoff the idea.. well, just try it. It does not violate any rules and takes only minutes. See if there's any difference this week

iskandar, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  18. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll go and look again, but I wasn't able to find the Bookmark link. I found the RSS with no problem. Strange?

compar, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... maybe it isn't there by default. I've been using My Yahoo as my home page for quite some time now, even before the current version.

Look at the top left, Bob.

Do you see
    ?

If so, try clicking on the content or layout buttons and see if you find an option to add "Bookmarks".

minstrel, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  20. iskandar

Best Answers:
    Funny .. i think it's on the right side .. not top left.

If you use yahoo heavily and have customised it, it would be .. wherever you put it.

However, if you have not play with it, look at the right hand column. You will see weather, Inside my yahoo, and after that.. the third column is My Bookmark.

p/s another example where rss feed helps to get pages indexed is here :

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=7359&pp=10

Hope that proves something!

iskandar, Jun 14, 2005 IP