1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting forum indexed - problems

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by webstien, Oct 8, 2005.

Hey guys,

I have a forum for one of my hobbies. www.airgunforum.ca

about 170+ members 2669 articles

Its a phpbb forum, mod_rewrite, bot manager mod (shows googlebot has visited my site 16 times but only 1 page has been indexed), sitemap that is auto updated.

Also, is there any way i can make it go straight to the forum without having to redirect like im doing now? I think that may be causing the problems.

webstien, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  2. Monolith

Monolith Member

Best Answers:
    This is a longstanding issue with phpBB boards. The problem stems from the random session id's generated for each visitor. These session id's are appended to your sites URL's, making your boards URL's look completely dynamic to a bot. i.e. every time a bot visits a page, the URL is 'different' because of the new SID.

If you look around the mod forum at www.phpbb.com and browse the mods at www.phpbbhacks.com you should be able to find some extensions that try to remedy this by stripping SIDs from links. Some try to do this just for the various searchbots. Still, though, its a finicky process. Ive been hacking around with my board for a few months trying to get it indexed... and out of about 150k articles googles only showing 40k indexed (and way less using the API).

Good luck, and update the thread if you find anything promising! :D

Monolith, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  3. webstien

webstien Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually have the SID removal mod installed. On the first day i had it on i noticed google was slowly archiving page by page.... now it visits but doesnt seem to be archiving.

webstien, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  4. YoungSmeagol

YoungSmeagol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It could be the redirection script on your site. It might not stop google from getting to your page but once it gets there it might not want to crawl the other pages.

I just installed the seo mod yesterday so I hope my forum gets crawled soon.

YoungSmeagol, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I use this MOD and it works very well:

minstrel, Oct 9, 2005 IP