1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

getting better rankings for deeper pages

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by fluke, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It just means they work out the serps in the normal google way (includes consideration of pagerank). ... then go back over those results and take into account the interconnectivity of the documents. Two stage process.
    SEMrush

Dominic, Aug 22, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Impossible! Absolutely Impossible! PageRank has never ever been considered a relevance ranking. It can't be. It is thematically and semantically independent. It has nothing to do with words or relevance. It has only got to do with the numeric value of the other pages.

That's exactly what I mean when I say you guys are reading things in that just are not there.

compar, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  3. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    "I only know what I read in the papers."

The initial rank value corresponds to a calculated relevance of the document. There are a number of suitable ranking algorithms known in the art. One of which is described in the article by Brin and Page, as mentioned in the Background of the Invention section of this disclosure.
    How else can we read that?

Just to be sure, I went back to the very words in the cited "Background" section. Read them and weep:

Determining appropriate scores can be a difficult task. For one thing, the importance of a web page to the user is inherently subjective and depends on the user's interests, knowledge, and attitudes. There is, however, much that can be determined objectively about the relative importance of a web page. Conventional methods of determining relevance are based on the contents of the web page. More advanced techniques determine the importance of a web page based on more than the content of the web page. For example, one known method, described in the article entitled "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Search Engine," by Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page, assigns a degree of importance to a web page based on the link structure of the web page. In other words, the Brin and Page algorithm attempts to quantify the importance of a web page based on more than just the content of the web page.
    [emphasis added]

It does say "more than", but clearly PR is the driving force.

Owlcroft, Aug 23, 2004 IP