1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting back a domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by macdesign, Mar 23, 2005.

I have a client that I do programming for - never worked on his website - cause he already had someone else working on it. I just noticed his web site is missing and has been for some time.

It turns out the company that set up his URL and was hosting the site, went under last year after taking his money, and they never renewed his URL, which expired last fall. Also he does not have the code to recreate the web site, and is kind of cluless about what to do. [I think I have a downloaded capture of his site from a year ago - but he does not know that]

Some other company grabbed it, and it's just parked at Godaddy, they never asked him for ransom. I wondered why, since his URL is fairly unique, and he said they was a company around with a similar name - so maybe they were going to set up a web site for someone else. The URL expires in Oct 2005.

Now at this point he's lost any Google PR or search engine stuff, but there are lot of other sites still pointing at his URL, so it's worth trying to get it back.

Note that the company that has his URL registered has a few comments in some forums that they might have gone bankrupt and/or are "criminals"

1. If that company has gone bankrupt I'm assuming there is nothing to be done.

2. If they are still around, what' the best way to approach them so they would part with the name for some low sum of money, I don't want to appear too eager. Is it better for me to approach them, or for him to?

macdesign, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Just spend $18.95 to backorder the domain with Godaddy and when it expires you might be first in line to get it.

anthonycea, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  3. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but that won't be till October and I've got him eager to find a solution right now. This customer moves like mud, a development programmin project last year [only $1500 of work] took him a year to decide to do it. So I gotta get him hooked while he's interested. He's been running his business without a site for over six months - which give you some idea of what I'm dealing with.

Also not guaranteed, I was watching another domain I wanted - since it had a good name for one of my other customers, has not been used for at least a year, does not even point to a parked page. The day it was going to expire it got renewed.

macdesign, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  4. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    The name doesn't happen to be his trademarked name is it?

Chris

Christopher, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Back order the name anyway just for insurance if you think you have to get it back because that is the only way to do it unless you make the owner a good offer and buy it outright, you can always do this after is is renewed, if they renew it.

If they let it expire it is yours on the cheap, you see what I am saying.

I would tell the customer to just register a new name in the mean time and get the site up and if you get the old name back you can foward all the traffic into it once it is set up.

6. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Why not contact the current owner and give a "mild" interest in the domain? I wouldn't contact them saying you were the former owner with a long sad story. Just show casual interest in the domain with a "I might be interested, if reasonably priced."

I've had about 50/50 luck with this myself. Some people expect a retirement offer when you contact them, others are glad to make a few bucks and quite nice about it.

GTech, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Your right GTech, but if it is close to expiration he could make that offer after it is renewed, in the mean time back order is better to be first in line to get it if he lets the name drop.