1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting a blog to function for dummies

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by PavlosThes, Jul 14, 2017.

Hi all,

There are pretty much thousands of free to download templates out there and most of them include a blog area, which then consists of the blog main page and the single posts pages.

What i don't understand is how a make a blog like this actually be a blog -- that is, not having to type code and make changes every time i post a new blog post.

Currently being on Blogger (but it's also the same on Wix, Wordpress etc) the only thing i have to do is type in the title, type in the text and click Post. Then, somehow Blogger arranges the main page so that the newest post appears on top, then the previous one, then the one before that, etc. It also arranges the Archive in an appropriate way, by date, so readers can find what they want.

However, is there really a way to do that if i choose to host my own website with a blog area? None of the templates takes care of this. You have to edit every page separately and re-arrange the main blog page every single time, which obviously is going to be a mess after a while.

Solved! View solution.
    PavlosThes, Jul 14, 2017 IP
    You can use a static page for your website and have it link to your other Wordpress pages. Posts for blog posts and pages for website pages. Add a link to your blog page in your menu. The blog can list the latest posts you publish and can act as how you mentioned it in your post.

Not much coding knowledge required but you'll have to know your way around Wordpress to achieve this.

Frost1, Jul 14, 2017 IP
  3. PavlosThes

PavlosThes Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, thanks.... but i want to host a complete website on one place, not use links to another one.

PavlosThes, Jul 15, 2017 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You are misinformed. WordPress' self hosted solution does take care of this. The latest blog posts will get displayed on the homepage, unless you choose to have a static homepage for your website, and the blog posts will get archived in their relevant categories.

dcristo, Jul 15, 2017 IP
  5. PavlosThes

PavlosThes Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh.... Well, this is exactly what i need! But now i have to master wordpress, right

PavlosThes, Jul 15, 2017 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It is a pretty small learning curve even for beginners.

dcristo, Jul 15, 2017 IP
  7. Frost1

Frost1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everything is done on the same website. You're linking to your own content on the static homepage.

Frost1, Jul 15, 2017 IP
  8. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are going to have to invest a couple hundred dollars and have someone put your first one together for you and give you a walk through on how to edit your posts, products and etc

locals, Jul 23, 2017 IP
  9. Bielefelder

Bielefelder Member

Best Answers:
    Just search on Youtube, there are a lot of free videos if you want to learn how to setup your site....

Bielefelder, Aug 18, 2017 IP