1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getafreelancer (Freelancer.com, GAF) Rip Off

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by qwertyuiop[, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ROOFIS

ROOFIS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah just over there a while ago, hope the OP gets the earnings he/she is entitled to,
    Personally I've had no problems dealing with them
    (I'm Australian and it's an Australian IT company :D) so I guess Kudo's to me.

Here's their DNS contact details:
    domain>whois.html>domain=freelancer.com

maybe you could try this channel instead I know I would if I have 3K on the line. :eek:

ROOFIS

ROOFIS, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  2. writerforever

writerforever Peon

Best Answers:
    I logged to my account today and I got suspended for security reason. They want me to submit to them valid ID. I have been with gaf for 3 years now and this is the first time they suspend my account with this reason.

They did it hours after I withdraw $128 from my account towards my payoneer card!

This is really awful. I really need the money this week!

writerforever, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  3. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this totally, its like a modern sweat shop. very well said. It IS a sweat shop with all the competition for jobs/listings.

Traffic-Bug, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  4. amine

amine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Strongly recommended!

Please stay away from this company and their site www.getafreelancer.com.

i have sent the id scan document
    then he replay:
    Hi,

Please send us an ID or any documents (electric bill, etc) in English verbiage and a photo of you holding these IDs or documents.
    --
    I don't have any english document
    this is Insult :mad::mad

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
    amine, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  5. Lord_Priths

Lord_Priths Member

Best Answers:
    You better go for elance or odesk instead of GAF

Lord_Priths, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  6. dares22

dares22 Peon

Best Answers:
    I had never any problems with GAF yet, but working just for 1 mo.

dares22, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  7. Izonedig

Izonedig Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't have any problem with them (yet ), but from now I will will be very carefull, I will not keep more than $30 in my GAF account never ever !

There is other good websites other than getafreelancer, check elance or odesk or scriptlance, or even my freelance website: haveafreelancer.com :)

Izonedig, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  8. ReviewWriter

ReviewWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I had almost the same problem and they delayed the payment 4 times. As the balance amount was not a bigger one, I mailed a support staff [don't remember her name but it is something similar to Martina or so] and said "I won't mail you again, and if you want to hold my cash, have it. I'll have to leave the site and inform others". Then I was told to send one more withdrawal request and it was accepted.

And.................. I never had a deal there again..............................................................!!

ReviewWriter, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  9. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is already too many middleman's in this business

There is online payment processors who take away service tax,then there is the currency conversions

Why not try to trust someone and give them work. See what happens...For a businessmen trust is very important. You would be scammed by this method but you can unearth the best service with this too..No need tp shell out your money 10% everytime for someone who does nothing rather than reward your worker that 10%..he might work harder

silent_thunder, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  10. roy.laurie

roy.laurie Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that most businesses prefer to handle it like that silent_thunder. GAF is a place for purchasers who would would incur higher risk in order to land a reduced cost. If people want to take that risk, it's their business, but I honestly don't think its worth the effort in the long run.

roy.laurie, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  11. Josh D.

Josh D. Peon

Best Answers:
    I have also experienced issues with there system. Having a middle man like that never works.

Josh D., Feb 9, 2010 IP
  12. Yogagirl

Yogagirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't stand GetaFreelancer. com and all those bid freelancing sites. They are a total rip off and a bunch of scam artists on there ripping off people left and right. I worked with them very briefly - NEVER again!

Yogagirl, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  13. iwantvarun

iwantvarun Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems problem is with process of GAF.If they are really worried about the identity of programmer they should check all these documents at the time of SIGNUP.

It looks like fraud because banning or stopping payment after developer has given his time and effort is not good process.

In one of post mentioned that scammers from developing nations are getting work with fake identity.

Why GAF is not filtering these people at the time of signup?

The only reason i found that people are getting jobs on GAF is due to cheap pricing.And the only reason of cheap pricing is developing country providing same work on cheap cost due to currency value is less in east.

It is always a risk to give work to unknown person it not matter he is from east or west as one of my friend said it is a high risk business.

iwantvarun, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  14. restlesss

restlesss Guest

Best Answers:
    I have tried GAF and it works for me i have taken logo designing project and got paid too ....why are so much complain here ....

restlesss, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  15. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    My problem with the site is that I stumbled onto a new site that is connected to theirs... its called freelancer.com and when I tried to sign up, my kaspersky flagged it and says that the site is using another site's SSL certificate, which on closer inspection was getafreelancer.com

So my mind made up I wanted to see what people say about getafreelancer and it appears that in the past it was a good site, but since the company was bought by someone else, there has been nothing but problems.

Safe to say it made me realize...that I am really glad that I wasn't that stupid to sign up and offer my services. To be fair, most of my dealings have always been on digitalpoint forums and I have found really good providers and provided services to others myself as well.

Shows you... things can always go wrong.

sarah_harvey, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  16. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are not serious! It makes me think of this site >>> http://forum.419eater.com/forum/album.php

Rian, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  17. Words For You

Words For You Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been freelancing through E.Lance and i would like to say that those guys are pretty tight and offer you the best service. I had an account on GetAFreeLancer and seems like they just want to rip you off of every single dime. They are looking for excuses to make more money.
    I am not really advertising for E.lance, just stating down my experience. I had a good time there and i still work partially through it.

Anyways GAF is also kinda known as a fake sorta thingy in Elance forums, so i would recommend that you guy transfer to some reliable website. I feel sorry for those who lost their hard earned money
    Those endless nites you spent in front of the Monitor and kept workin, hopin to have some cash someday. Damn those scammers!
    ><
    best of luck to those who want to make a living through free lancing :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    Words For You, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  18. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A good friend of mine, who is a great writer with a book being published soon, was looking to help make ends meet by freelancing online, so she joined GAF and it was a horrible experience. She was taken advantage of and ripped off several times by buyers and then was expected to pay the bid fees by GAF, even though she never got paid!!

It was a shame because it was her first experience trying to make money online and it was ruined. She's now on DP and doing much better, thanks partly to me steering her clear of the scammers on here too. There will always be jerks trying to take advantage of newbies, but that was a learning experience for her at least.

Avoid getafreelancer.com like the plague that it is...

asmodeus, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  19. MattBarrie

MattBarrie Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello

I'm the Chief Executive of Freelancer.com. I've been reading the above thread and have some replies;

Firstly, in response to the original post, no - we certainly are not in the habit of 'suspending accounts with money in them'.
    Accounts only get suspended if something illegal or against our terms and conditions is done. I'm sure this issue has
    already been resolved, but if the user still has a problem if they provide their username we can look into it.

If a user violations our terms and conditions and we have not ID checked them before, we do so. This is part of the
    "know your customer" rules & regulations that all businesses face today when deal with funds.

We do ask users to send in a photo of themselves holding their ID occasionally because of identity theft. This
    is a growing crime, as I'm sure you are all aware.

We have paid out over US$50 million so far to our users and handled over 630,000 projects. We
    have over 1.5 million users on our site, making us the largest freelancing site in the world.

With such a large number of users it is a fact of life that from time to time someone will be upset
    with your service. If anyone has any outstanding issues, please do contact customer support.
    Since we acquired the site last year we have increased the support team many orders of magnitude.

Alternately you can reach us for any other matters at

Our address is
    5/36 Bayswater Road
    Potts Point NSW 2028
    Australia

Regards
    Matt Barrie
    Chief Executive
    Freelancer.com

MattBarrie, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  20. SEOBoss

SEOBoss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It sucks in real time. I deposited around $x,xxx there to get some work done but about to close account NOW. A provider submitted me totally copied work, i denied to release escrow there and then i submitted all necessary documents, WITHOUT reviewing single document, they transferred all money to provider who literally scammed me.

There dispute system is confusing. I had two options, either to agree opponents claim or accept 50% and release 50%. Since i was not agree with any of both, they transferred whole payment to them!!!!

SCAM

SEOBoss, May 13, 2010 IP