1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Get rid of the meta name="robots" content="index, follow" tag?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by misohoni, May 20, 2004.

1. andrewwise

andrewwise Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way to learn any of these tips is to look at successful sites. What are your competitors doing? If they're #1 for your term, just copy what they're doing, and get to work building better on-site and off-site links.

Spending too much time worrying about this small stuff is really not using your time best.

andrewwise, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  2. tonsblogger

tonsblogger Active Member

Best Answers:
    great ideas, it lessens my confusion.

tonsblogger, May 6, 2009 IP
  3. jaamit

jaamit Peon

Best Answers:
    There's some confusion about the robots metatag in some of the posts above. To my mind, it's clear: the tag is only useful if you want to tell spiders NOT to do something on a page:

noindex, follow = don't include this page in the SERPS, but pass pagerank through the links on this page

index, nofollow = include this page in the SERPS, but DONT pass pagerank through the links on this page

noindex, nofollow = DONT include this page in the SERPS, and DONT pass pagerank through the links on this page

noodp, noydir = DONT use DMOZ or Yahoo Directory blurb instead of my meta description for SERP snippet (usually only applies to brand name searches)

index, follow = completely pointless in this form - any search spider exists to be able to index pages and follow links! Using the tag in this form is like instrucing an elephant at a watering hole to drink: there's no need, it's why they're there in the first place. But having this tag here will certainly NOT create problems!

Finally the robots metatags serve a different function to robots.txt. Excluding something from a robots.txt tells a search engine not to visit a certain area/page, but it still could get indexed if someone links to that page!

jaamit, May 7, 2009 IP
  4. jeany

jeany Peon

Best Answers:

Well, it can cause you no harm but it will not give you better results neither. If you have it already, then you can just leave it but if you do not have no reason for you to get one.

jeany, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  5. forum_posting

forum_posting Peon

Best Answers:
    It helps search engines to follow your website. No harm in adding it in your website.

forum_posting, Mar 8, 2010 IP
  6. seanmullins

seanmullins Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised how much I see this used,
    I assumed it wasnt needed alright.

seanmullins, Jun 24, 2010 IP
  7. lokiing1`

lokiing1` Peon

Best Answers:
    when adding <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow> attribute to an specific page of an domain, do the whole page of an domain will not be indexed ?

lokiing1`, Sep 30, 2010 IP
  8. rebeck

rebeck Peon

Best Answers:
    So, which meta tags should be added? Of course "title", "description" and "keywords" should be; but I mean others essential meta tags.

Thanks.

rebeck, Oct 27, 2010 IP
  9. Quvincy

Quvincy Peon

Best Answers:
    NO, its not compulsory to add this tags on a site. I haven't add this teg on my sites but all are indexed in google having a 2 or 3 PR.
    Robots.txt is generally use for no follow attribute.

Quvincy, Oct 27, 2010 IP