1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

get data and all related ids

Discussion in 'Databases' started by vlasta, Oct 29, 2009.

Hi all,

I am redesigning my database and I seem to run into a problem.

There are 2 tables:
    Table ITEM - information about individual items
    Table SET - items can be grouped into sets; each set has additional properties like name, description, stamp, etc.

(In the past, I had a field in the SET table, where I listed ids of the individual items as a comma-separated string.)

Now, I have a field in the ITEM table that holds the id of the SET the item belongs to.

In my queries, I often need to get properties of a SET and ids of the ITEMs belonging to a set.

I know I can retrieve the set properties in one query and then get the items belonging to a set in another query, but it gets complicated when I need information about more than one set. The number of queries grows too fast.

My question: Can I somehow retrieve SET properties + IDs of ITEMs in a single query, preferably obtain the ids in a single field "ID1,ID2,ID3..."

Thanks in advance

vlasta, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  2. mastermunj

mastermunj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it would be better to understand the problem if you can post table structure and at least 4 - 5 entries in both tables.

it will help us test out queries as well :)

by the way, is it mysql or other database?

mastermunj, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  3. mwasif

mwasif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can do that in a single query (if you are using MySQL, i don't know about other DBs).

SELECT `SET`.*, GROUP_CONCAT(`ITEM`.set_id) FROM `SET` 
    INNER JOIN `ITEM` ON `ITEM`.set_id = `SET`.id
    WHERE `SET`.id = 1
    GROUP BY `SET`.id
    Code (markup):
    I recommend you not to use table name SET, because it is a reserve word in mysql. Change this to something else to avoid confusion otherwise you have always to use backticks (`) around the table name as I used above.

mwasif, Nov 1, 2009 IP