1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Get a Digg frontpage, but not as so good as said

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by sz2006, Dec 5, 2006.

Yesterday my post were on Digg's frontpage, http://www.digg.com/mods/Blogging_Tips_29_Topics_and_Sentence_Starters_for_Your_Next_Blog for about 1 hour. Then it was gone. It was my first digg frontpage post. It says one digg frontpage would break the server down with tens of thousands of visitors at the same day. But for me, only 2000 visitors came, and only seldom of them clicked the ads. A little bit frustrated. Seems Digg is not as powerful as I was told.
    BTW, it's very hard to find the post anymore after it was moved away from the frontpage. What does this mean, got buried?

sz2006, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  2. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, it was probably buried. If that happens too many times, your site won't be able to get on digg anymore. Still, you might get a good number of backlinks from sites that just post digg stories.

Austars, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  3. JoshuaGross

JoshuaGross Peon

Best Answers:
    1. No, probably didn't get buried (but you can check, it will say, and read comments) just the amount of articles ahead of it.

2. Category has a big effect. Gaming > music theory (if there was such a category). Since it was on the front page, though, it does seem strange that there would be so few hits. Like I said though, popularity of the category can dramatically effect the number of people who click it.

3. Don't post your CTR/cost-per-click rate here, it's against Google's TOS.

JoshuaGross, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  4. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember your blog on the front page, because I was one of those visitors. Me (and most others) just scrolled through quickly and moved on to the next digg.

drig, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  5. Tekntoant

Tekntoant Peon

Best Answers:
    The majority of diggers are well aware of ads and they just don't click on them. Getting on the front page is more for publicity and linking then converting a few clicks.

I also skimmed through the comments on the digg page, maybe you should as well. Your artical/blog was socially marked as blog spam.

Tekntoant, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  6. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    He said it was almost impossible to find after an hour, I think he knows how to navigate to the next page in Digg, it probably was buried.

Austars, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  7. sz2006

sz2006 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reminding. I've removed the CTR related numbers.

How to check it was buried or not?

It was found at the frontpage of duggtrends.com/buried.aspx

sz2006, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  8. Tekntoant

Tekntoant Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if you can actually see that it got buried, you probably just have to assume that this was the case based on your stats. Although, 2000 uniques is not horrible considering the backlash in the comments concerning your digg artical.

Thanks for the link sz2006.

Tekntoant, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  9. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    You're lucky it got to the front page, most of the stuff people consider "digg spam" doesn't make it there for even an hour.

PayItForward, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  10. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    One things that effects how many visitors you get from Digg is the time of day that it hits the front page. If you get it on in the middle of the night (in the US), you will not get nearly as many visitors.

tlainevool, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  11. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    did you buy those digg? How did that piece of crap got 125 digg? You must be lucky

ahkip, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  12. sz2006

sz2006 Guest

Best Answers:
    I didn't buy anything,or know anybody in digg. As a matter of fact, I was just trying to build some back links, and Digg was a test. I never expected such an article could be on the Digg frontpage.
    Now when I check who dugg it, I found something interesting. Some guy's single click/comment counts for 49 diggs. And my post was on frontpage at 41 diggs, which means some diggers can easily send a post to frontpage by one click!
    So it looks like digg is a game played by those top diggers?

check who dugg, digg.com/mods/Blogging_Tips_29_Topics_and_Sentence_Starters_for_Your_Next_Blog/who

sz2006, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  13. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think that's quite right. I counted 126 people who dugg the story. Each one counted as a single digg.

tlainevool, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  14. dustin

dustin Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking at your dig history, it seems like you only view the site as a way of advertising your sites. That's not going to fly to get you the true digg juice. You should be digging other people's stories (that you like) and submitting things that aren't just yours. Otherwise, you're always going to get buried like you did here.

dustin, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  15. invincible.vib

invincible.vib Peon

Best Answers:
    And most imp, visitors comming directly from digg or reddit etc rarely click ads!
    So you won't be making lots of money since your story hit the front page...but it will can get you some permanent visitors & lots of backlinks to your post....

So it will help a lot in long run!

invincible.vib, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  16. SCW1975

SCW1975 Peon

Best Answers:
    You're being very short sighted. Screw adsense, getting diggs home page is worth more than adsense.

SCW1975, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  17. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have had one digg on the home page but it didnt make much revene at all, digg users are very tech savy and they dont click ads.

sure I got liek 20 000 hits but not much $$$$ at all. Show have had CPM

Connections, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  18. RoboLlama

RoboLlama Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I've been on Digg frontpage numerous times, but you really just earn a lot of backlinks, and a lot of visitors. You don't get THAT much more revenue from it..

RoboLlama, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  19. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah true I am still gettting traffic from forums where the digg post was linked to each day like 40+ uniques and the digg story was in early November last year lol.

Connections, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  20. killafawk

killafawk Active Member

Best Answers:
    digg is over rated slowing dieing trend.

killafawk, Feb 13, 2007 IP