1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Geo-targeting does not remove Country level targetting? What??!!! Overcharged by Goog

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by toritaiyo, Mar 29, 2010.

I feel like the wool is being pulled over my eyes

I setup an Adwords campaign and geo-targeted it using a 5-mile radius around our city.
    I came back a day and a half later and nearly a thousand dollars had been charged in clicks! :-(

Looking at the terms that triggered the clicks many of the terms had our keywords + other-cities-around-the-country. So obviously it was not targeting only our city.

I deleted the campaign and contacted Google about a credit (explaining all of the details). I received a reply from a Google employee (a pleasant surprise) and they will give a credit of a few hundred dollars (even more pleasant).
    SEMrush

Still , something does not sit right with me. It should have been targeted and the reply from Google raises that question again in my mind.
    I was told this:
    So they are telling me that, although I did "add" the specific city as a target, the default U.S. targeting was not removed.
    What?!
    Isn't that a given? If I am targeting a city does that not by default remove the whole US as a target?

toritaiyo, Mar 29, 2010 IP
    SEMrush