1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Genesis Framework > Thesis ?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by CandleKeep, Mar 5, 2013.

Now I realize I'm going to stir some controversy with the thesis fanboys; it seems to be a totally awesome theme/framework for wordpress.

I'm trying to decide if I should dive into Thesis or Genesis. At first I thought Thesis was the better option, but after researching more I'm not so sure.

Genesis just seems like it's a better deal.

For $350 you get full access to Genesis plus all of the themes.

With Thesis, there aren't really a lot of supported skins ("themes") (made by diythemes at least).

All other aspects seem relatively equal.

Both great functionality, development potential, speed and SEO functionality.

So, genesis just has lots more themes to chose from.

What are your thoughts regarding genesis vs. thesis?

PS: Sorry if this has been discussed. Before you complain, allow me to make notation that I would prefer current and up to date discussion as opposed to using the search function on such an evolving topic.

:D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    CandleKeep, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  2. Civin

Civin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly Genesis wins hands down for a variety of reasons.
    #1) Price. If you are doing multiple sites / client sites / etc based off of either of these Thesis adds up a bit quicker.
    #2) Child themes / external themes. Genesis just has a much larger variety
    #3) Plugins: Genesis has a TON of more specific plugins to use

Civin, Mar 5, 2013 IP
    Stephan_Iscoe likes this.
  3. LGRComp

LGRComp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You also might want to look into HeadwayThemes. I use it on a number of sites and it is excellent. Not as many child themes but if you want to create your own look Headway allows you to create what you want. Think the developer version is cheaper than Genesis as well.

LGRComp, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  4. kikolani

kikolani Active Member

Best Answers:
    Genesis is a better deal with lots of themes that look great right out of the box. I wrote a comparison of the two frameworks in this post: http://kikolani.com/thesis-vs-genesis-comparing-premium-wordpress-themes.html

Thesis has since been updated. From what i can tell, for $197 you can get the framework plus two skins (designs). Those are still in development though.

kikolani, Mar 10, 2013 IP
  5. Densely

Densely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thesis is also not much ahead of Genesis, and it also have a lot of child themes.
    I have seen some Great looking child themes here: http://www.thesisskin.net/

Densely, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  6. GloriaG333

GloriaG333 Peon

Best Answers:

I am considering Headway Themes because they seem to have an easy drag and drop program. I am new to Wordpress and not a designer at all. Just need to move my site from Intuit and have chosen Wordpress but cannot seem to find a drag and drop that is easy. My current site is www.thecatholictravelguide.com and I want to duplicate that on Wordpress. Do you think that Headway is worth the $87 to do that?

GloriaG333, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  7. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like Genesis a loottt, but then again I'm biased bc i've never even tried Thesis lol. But Genesis is amazing in so many ways...lots of themes, and tons of options with each theme, and the SEO is great too. It's just all around a great choice.

ninjamtlt1, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  8. LGRComp

LGRComp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Is it worth it? Depends on how much time you have and how custom you want it to be. I personally use Headway over the others because it can create different looking sites and that is what I use it for. If you want it to look close to what you have now it can do that but you might want to consider changing it, always nice to have some thing new!

LGRComp, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  9. Muhammad Haroon

Muhammad Haroon Member

Best Answers:
    Genesis is best... Using from past 3 years with no complain.

Muhammad Haroon, Apr 8, 2013 IP
  10. finalroundmedia

finalroundmedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use Thesis but 2.0 is a new animal with a completely new learning curve. For the time and money, I like Genesis.

finalroundmedia, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  11. Mitul005

Mitul005 Member

Best Answers:
    I use Headway theme and it provide 87$ Base Price With Drag and Drop Facilities. its very reliable like you literly drawing your theme you can make which you can imagine. but If you are partial coder than you can bye headway base but if you want Manage proper site you must buy Blocks...At the end your theme cost add Arnd 75-100 $ Extra , 187 $ is not bad. where genesis have 350$ Pack. But we never compared both theme becuase if you are new on wordpress and not much familier with coding so must go with Headway. But If you are long blog runner and decide to go wordpress so you must go with genesis. Both Are best Wordpress framework with rich features. And Very Good SEOTools.. Otherwise Thesis I dont Have Experiance on It.

Mitul005, May 12, 2013 IP
  12. samirbalwani

samirbalwani Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I really like Genesis. Headway is good too, but Genesis is really awesome - especially if you have some coding experience. Thesis used to be great, but since 2.0 came out I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews.

samirbalwani, May 15, 2013 IP
  13. Musgrove

Musgrove Member

Best Answers:
    If you aren't much of a coder, the drag and drop interface of Headway should be the selling point. Otherwise, go with Genesis. I have a lot of experience with Thesis 1.xx and 2.xx, and think you'll become exasperated quickly with it.

Musgrove, Jun 11, 2013 IP