1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Geez- I feel bad for the quality copywriters around here :(

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by driven, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Actually several of us to that every single day. Every day I post writers markets (should all be $.10 / word or more, some up to several thousand dollars per article) at:

www.SixFigureWriters.com

www.AllFreelancing.com (where I post the highest ones, but you have to register to see them - or sign up for the newsletter at the first site to get weekly highlights)

www.myspace.com/sixfigurewriters

At the first link, we've also been discussing / debating the rate issue and standardization issues going around the professional writing community, and we offer links on the home page to other places they can find better paying markets. If people get off their butt and just look, it's not hard to find. Most just don't want to be bothered. Actually, I'll be offering a report to newsletter subscribers with a few "tricks" on how to find high paying markets that aren't published by simply using Google appropriately.

EDIT: haha Denise, beat me to it. ;) That's what I get for writing too much. lol

jhmattern, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  2. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Yes, yes I did ;) Remember, my original nickname WAS Speedy, after all! :p

DeniseJ, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    LOL and now you're just a litle pseudo-pirate. I just love knowing you're jealous of me. ;) j/k

4. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    How can I be jealous of an older version of myself? :p

DeniseJ, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  5. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    lol just of my pirate blood. ;) Practically being a younger version of me still doesn't get you that, you little wannabe. ;) lol

6. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    Rawr, fine then -- you win. For NOW.

DeniseJ, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    lol Well if it makes you feel a little bit better, I wanted to be like Denise tonight, and finally got around to putting on Gentlemen Prefer Blondes like you suggested... watching it now actually. :)

8. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    Whoo! :) Jenn wants to be like meeeeee :p. I should go dig up the version I have sitting around here somewhere and watch it with you... I like that movie, lol.

DeniseJ, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    lol Like we're not both odd enough as it is... ;)

10. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, can I say that JhMattern and DeniseJ would be great mentors and to start a business for copywriters. I think it would be a great idea. Or if anything be great mentors for writers. Or write an article for DP here and get it to be a sticky for a guideline. It would be nice to see such great ideas come out of you both to guide peopl like me, who choose to possible start in writing.

Edit: I guess I didnt read DeniseJ's post of possibly doing something about it.

Btw: I don't run a sweat shop. All the blogs I write are of mine and no one else's. And I state why I charge my prices and it is not to demeans anyones wagers. One should set what one feels. I only charge such fees to cover my server and any other cost I have. It does not devalue any professional wage.

lpstong, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    If you want to learn from us, just join our forum at www.allfreelancing.com. ;) Aside from us, we've got a good group there, and all writers either earning a good deal or working towards improving their rates. In addition to that, we do post regular article on the blog. :)

12. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, Thanks much appreciated JhMattern. I will take this offer seriously. I will register and read around on the site. I will try and pick up some pointers and try to apply the most of it in my blogging business. And in due time will pick up my prices to try and equal things out.

Much appreciated.

lpstong, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Well definitely ask questions if you have them. The forum's just over a month old, so there's not a lot there (and we're an odd bunch, so don't mind the sidetracked discussions... we're all writers, so we just love to yap in forums a bit too much). ;) There's a set blogging area under Web Writing - not sure if there's much there yet, but we'd be more than happy to talk about it and help you raise your rates in time if you want to. :)

14. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So far I like the forum. I so far have enjoyed the read. The topic that drew me in quickly was Brainstorming/writing exercises. I so needed this kind of support on a blog topic I was stuck on earlier today.

From what I have read so far in the last 20 minutes or so has been excellent. Thanks again.

lpstong, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Glad you like it and hope to see you around there. :) And obviously you can ask us things here too... we don't bite all the time. ;)

16. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm....Ok no worries. I am trying not to quiver so much at the the thought. Rofl. I will behave myself to say the least. I feel there should be such outlets or forums to discuss matters. Or to have mentors out there to help those moments writers get. Regardless at the writing skills one has. I know personally something like this will only help me grow in my writing skills.

lpstong, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  17. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the world of globalisation. The prices offered here may be low for those living in the United States, but for those living in India, they are good money.

ablaye, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  18. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The "global market" argument related to freelance writing is such a load of crap (not you personally ablaye), and it's the most overused excuse for poor rates out there. Actually, it's a part of what a lot of professional writers have been discussing lately in the big rates debate going on, ranging from market forces to rate standardization, which stemmed from the start of the freelance writers' manifesto among other things.. The globalization argument is really only completely valid in the niche of the SEO webmaster marketplace for writers; not the freelance writing profession by any stretch of the imagination. It's absolutely not the case for real copywriters (generally confused with content writers here, or content writers that call themselves copywriters).

The reality isn't that globalization is driving writing rates down... it's that it's driving one particular niche's rates down in the market, on top of the fact that online everyone and their brother can be a "writer". Yet even in online markets, there are a LOT of very high-paying publications / sites. All solid writers have to do is learn how to look.

jhmattern, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  19. driven

driven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The global market and outsourcing does play a role but I think it has a minimal impact on most writers and designers living in developed countries like the U.S . The fact is that most consumers don't even know where to start if they want to outsource. Only a tiny population go to places like Elancer to find cheap providers. The rest rely on word of mouth and their network for recommendations.

Jenn- what's the difference b/w copywriters vs content writers?

driven, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  20. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    Content writers instruct, inform, or entertain. Copywriters are writers who focus mainly on promotional purposes (i.e., sales copy). This thread explains it much more in depth, but trust me, there IS a difference between copywriters and content writers.

DeniseJ, Dec 14, 2006 IP