1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GBuy=Google's Paypal Service

Discussion in 'Google' started by wentworth, Feb 7, 2006.

1. pilias

pilias Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the market could definately benefit from having a major competitor to Paypal, although I am somewhat sceptical about whether Google can pull this off, the potential is definately there.

pilias, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  2. Elearn-uni

Elearn-uni Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks to me like the Banker always wins and this move could make G both omnipresent and onminpowerful in terms of internet trading.

Ebay, Amazon and the rest would have to fall in line which they are unlikely to do in a hurry.

However, possibly the biggest threat to G banking/payment plans might come from the big Banks and credit card companies themselves. That's where the real money stock-holders might just draw the line to G's fascinating diversification excursion.

Elearn-uni, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  3. asyrov

asyrov Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's face the realities here.....
    I know how most of the people like Google, but the payment service will never work in "Beta Mode"... (there are millions of regulations that they will have to comply with in US ... even afraid to think about other countries)

Now... transaction can not be "0.10" because MasterCard and Visa should take initial "~0.20" (this is a reply to one of the posts)

Google Talk has ~ 1% of the market share and aim ~ 33%

Gmail (I love it)... but again only 4.5% of the market share (I think yahoo ~ 30%)

I could be wrong on exact numbers, but these are ball part figures (I can try to find sources if people interested, but I think it would be slash dot / cnn).

It would take Google years to get into payment market and I don't even know what government will have to say about it.... You have to recall how much grief did they give PayPal couple of years ago... (a lot of people were pushing PayPal to register as a bank and comply with many other standards).

I am sure Google can be a nice competition to PayPal, but it will take them years and this will be way off their main business (they will be spreading wide).

asyrov, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  4. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you like saw this thread, made an account, and started to defend Paypal ?

How much are they paying you ? TRAITOR :D

Cristian Mezei, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  5. asyrov

asyrov Peon

Best Answers:
    lol.. :) I like Google and use a lot of their services... :D (Especially Gmail and Analytics... but still very concerned with Analytics Launch)

had being reading digitalpoint for quite a while... but had to add something here especially after looking at the post "Google Talk" is taking over the world.. :cool:

asyrov, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  6. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great to have some competition in this segment, I hate to pay so much for my sells to Paypal. Hopefully this will bring down costs to users :)

dshah, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  7. Elearn-uni

Elearn-uni Peon

Best Answers:
    You think... The admin costs are huge in this area. Also G will have to insure against the inevitable fraudulent attacks that all payment structures have to battle. Sentiment might be cheap but reality is far more expensive. I think this is going to be an uphill stretch for G and there are brick walls at every turn. G loyalists will love everything G, but Bankers love their money and their rates too much to let 'finance/currency/commercial monetary/goods-exchange mechanisms' get too cheap!

8. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are right. Sometime ago I overheard from a friend that in fact paypal division is not doing good financially. So your point makes sense about costs etc.

dshah, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  9. Elearn-uni

Elearn-uni Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that... Wouldn't surprise me if your friend is right. Having said all that, it's amazing that G 'believes' it can boldy go just about 'anywhere'!!!:D I wonder if they'll quote me for cheaper car insurance sometime!

10. vlad7

vlad7 Peon

Best Answers:
    oh man. I hope this is true. Can't wait to get rid of paypal.

vlad7, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  11. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My remark was a sarcastic remark - sorry!

Phynder, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  12. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Again, I was being sarcastic - that was exactly my point. I think Google has peaked (not sarcastic this time).

Phynder, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  13. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why so much hate for PayPal? I think GBuy will never take off, if it ain't broke, don't fix it kinda of thing.

Googles76, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  14. thestudentcenter

thestudentcenter Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate paypal. I would use Google in a second.

thestudentcenter, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  15. Nasruddin

Nasruddin Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is starting to also earn the ire of PayPal,adding to the list of feet Google is stepping on as they offer more services. Gbuy, a system similar to PayPal that facilitates 3rd party transfers of money securely, is what PayPal is concerned about.

”This is where Google has just the right mix to be able to challenge PayPal. Google has search, it has ads, it has presence, it has Froogle. In fact, it has all the necessary ingredients to pose such a big threat to PayPal that Jeff Jordan, PayPal's president, requested PayPal and eBay employees to monitor and watch for any news of Google's development of a service it calls GBuy.“

PayPal really has no rivals currently, being de facto method of payment online, overtaking many others when eBay purchased the company. They have received a lot of flak over the past three years, for poor customer service to the point where lawsuits were filed. Gbuy looks to move in on that exact territory, and this is one of those cases where competition is a good thing – a single provider of one service is rarely productive. From a consumer perspective, this is only a good thing, and we may see both services come out wonderfully.

Nasruddin, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  16. vorapolpanya

vorapolpanya Peon

Best Answers:
    really hope we have GBuy soon

vorapolpanya, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  17. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    This, I am interested in :D I can't use paypal in my country (other than to send money :rolleyes: ) and as G is already able to send adsense checks here, hopefully I'll be able to use it :)

relixx, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  18. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
  19. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    See I posted a while before that once you know you have a lot of visitors or members to your website, it will not be that hard to bring out a new product/service.

Here is a small analysis:

PayPal
    eBay supports PayPal
    PayPal is used by most people because PayPal has no worthy competitor

Google
    Everybody uses Google for:

• Marketing
    • AdSense
    • AdWords
    • Searching the web
    • SEO
    • Froogle and more!

Now I am pretty sure that Google has a much bigger customer/visitor database than PayPal, so it's logical that their GBuy will be a hit.

Another reason that it will immediately take off is because it will most likely send payouts via GBuy for AdSense Publishers, which most people will definitely like.

sixty6, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  20. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hope they do. Paypal blows with customer support

BamaStangGuy, Feb 7, 2006 IP