1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Future of the directory sites!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Eco'o, Jul 1, 2008.

Hi all,i'm directory owner, i have directory sites for 2 years...now there are lots of directory sites...i wanna ask you ; what do you think about the future of the directory sites?

Eco'o, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its a nice future, thats all i think ;) ive voiced all my opinion on it before in dozens of threads, done my fair share of positive talking for them.

pipes, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about other directories' future only your own, that way you'll have more chance of a successful one. ;)

JamieG, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    freelistfool likes this.
  4. Cinta April

Cinta April Banned

Best Answers:
    I think directories are places for spam and MFA since people tend to search for sites directly nstead of using a directory.

Cinta April, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  5. gauravgrt

gauravgrt Peon

Best Answers:
    Wrong answer mate! I completely disagree with you.

You might have only seen free crappy dirs. thats why you might be making statement like this.

gauravgrt, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    syted and JamieG like this.
  6. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    So do I disagree, but when people have sites like you do in their link I wonder if your not just posting to promote your crap.

JamieG, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    gauravgrt likes this.
  7. Cinta April

Cinta April Banned

Best Answers:
    directories do not have a good idea of the internet state. People plant their website only for PR or SEO i.e. spam. Only 1 out of 1000 search is even through a directory. Nowadays people just search for website thorugh search engine, not look for one in directory. It is made for money and even though they have good keywords, they won't earn as much as www.ozucs.com that is good in the long run.

Cinta April, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  8. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    It depends on the directory, you can get lucky - but most don't. Most are a waste of time, either MFA or built for selling data, some are even connected to criminal activity.

But end result is many will die out, so many have already it's quite shocking. The knowledge required to make one work on a large scale isn't something you can pick up on forums or the web in general. Like I say, most are built from cheap scripts with one thing in mind - to steal money.

It's sad, theft and very immoral. These folks who do this actually believe it's going to make them into something, it won't.

So few directories become famous, only the rare few become known, and even then that's just on the web, and that's only because the web is built to accept anything that some kid can upload. Uploading a script or web page doesn't mean a thing, it takes no skill whatsoever to do - but they won't be told, so let them get on with it and they'll soon find out just how tough this is.

I wish you luck though, just don't spend too much will you.

:)

Event_King, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  9. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    To the tosser that told me to stfu..... i hope your crappy laughable website dies badly, and that you lose all your cash and waste your life on it.

:rolleyes:

Event_King, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  10. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    If you are a directory owner, you should actually know where the industry is standing and whats happening!

Anyways, the future of the directory industry is in the directory owners hands. :)

humm, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Easy now, your losing grip of what a forum is used for, rep wont harm you, why if your so fed up with directories end up talking about them for so long?

Your in the UK? you know its hot outside today, why dont you go get some sun and forget all about directories.

I respect your opinion to not like directories, but please out of respect in return not keep running down a business that i and many others are in.

Its not cool, its doing no favours for me and i dont need anyone making my life more difficult, im trying to earn cash like everyone else.

Any chance you can ease back a little please?

pipes, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  12. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pipes ? first time i have seen someone eat in at you, surely you take it on the chin with a forum and never let the forum make your calls or upset you.

Dang I;m building a general directory ( that won't work ), aiming at visitors not the SE ( which cant be done ) and probably every other known bit of advice on this forum that should not be done.

Don't let it upset you, use it as a motivator.

DownUnder, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    swedal and pipes like this.
  13. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    If everyone followed this advice we wouldn't need to have this discussion. But since the discussion is fun I'll add my 2 cents. Google is on a rampage to go after junk MFA directories and link selling. If you've based your business model on one or both of those things you can expect the google monster to catch you.

freelistfool, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  14. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Yes, I'm quite reasonable, but have my limits. I don't dislike directories. This hasn't been taken on board, also with each new directory cropping up, it's going to get harder for you Pipes, and others.

A single member on a forum won't make any difference to the difficulty that already exists in directories. The difficulty issue was around years ago Pipes, so please don't blame me for what others have created.

im trying to earn cash like everyone else well, that tells you the problem right there, and no amount of forum tips is going to change that or make you rich.

There are easier ways to make money than with a directory anyway, so why not take the easier route? It would make more sense than trying to compete with thousands of others.

You say respect - why should I respect anybody here, they've done nothing to warrant that. The only directories that have done well is Skaffe, maybe JoeAnt and obviously business.com, but the others won't be getting my respect, as they aren't in the same league as the .coms of this world.

There are levels of success at work and much judgement gets based on web presense only, like I keep saying, it's easy to put a site on the web - too easy if we are all honest about it. But the honesty isn't there is it, hence the abuse being dished out, and it's because people cannot take criticism and confuse it with 'put downs'.

What is funny is many use forums to seek advice, tips, hints etc, and as soon as anyone tells them differently compared to the usual dogcrap out there, they go nuts, hurling abuse, threatening etc - it's very immature and gets them nowhere. I suggest if members here want the secrets, then don't abuse those with the knowledge.

Now I've said in posts what these directory owners need to do, so now it's upto them. If they don't follow that advice then things won't improve for them.

Event_King, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its always hard for me, im used to it. :)

Im always in it for the cash, its business, not love, i only have one website out of all of my websites that is not for cash gain, the rest is my living, all purely for money.

I do take the easier route with my other websites, but i still have my directories too.

Im not asking you to respect people specifically, its just its not pleasant to run down what is essentially a business for many.

Forums are for advice, tips assistance etc, not politics, that should be privately done.

I dont want secrets, secrets are for children and peodophiles.

People dont come for a lecture, we have had all that already, you may notice that your talking to an empty room because people just get up and leave, so you are wasting your time.

pipes, Jul 2, 2008 IP
    SilkySmooth likes this.
  16. contactusa

contactusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is definitively FUTURE for directories. Let's face it. How would people get backlinks and get indexed if it wasn't for directories? Unless someone has a great site and is flooded with traffic, you can forget about getting backlinks from other sites.

Only web directories will do it for you and most of them will do it for free. Thus, it is obvious, directories ARE here to stay.

contactusa, Jul 2, 2008 IP