1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Future Of Domain Names

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Nick_Mayhem, Feb 22, 2006.

Future of domain names. It is clear now that when some poor guy wants to start a web site the first problem is to get a descent domain name. Every domain name he can think of, is already registered. Even if he finds some name which is going to drop in a week or so, there is no chance that he will get it. Domineer all around the world are waiting right there with their backorders placed on that name.

3 character domains cannot be found for registrations not even 4 letters nowadays. All TLD's like .com, .net, .info and .org have been regged to the 4 letters limit. While I am writing this there are less then hundred 3 character domains left in '.net' and '.org' extensions with a mixture of letters and numbers. And around 2000 junk letter names in LLLL combination. Some lists can be found here. http://www.nameslot.com

So every domineer likes to have a 3 letter 4 letter and some dictionary and some brand able domains in his or her portfolio. There are more flavors too. Like LLL.com's, LNL.com's, NNN.com's and generic domains.

There are millions of domains registered. Imagine just $5 average per domain registration. And you will know how big this domain industry is. From where I am seeing it, there is no downfall of this domaining business. Recently a guy was sued for his domain name dellwebsites.com by DELL. People who are breaking Trademarks and registering company names are also being hit hard nowadays. But still you can't file a case against some John for registering JOHN.COM and the show goes on.

Nick_Mayhem, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  2. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    How is it any different than real estate. If you want to build a restaurant on a busy intersection you are going to have a pay a lot for the land.

mhdoc, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  3. kip

kip Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If you have a 3 or 4 letter domain name, it is easy to remember, and people will pay more. It is just like opening a business in the "city" or "country" city being www.LLL.com, and country being www.thisismylongdomain.com

Now most domain names 3 and 4 letters aren't an average $5, more on the lines of $500 - $100,000

kip, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  4. Olney

Olney Berserker

Best Answers:
    The future of domaining is IDN domains.
    People in other countries can get the domain they want in their own native language. I'm American but I live in Japanese & supposedly I have one of the best Japanese IDN portfolios.
    At this stage I wouldn't even start a new domain forum. If you look at the quality of domains being appraised it's like 70% waisted registrations.

I own the first & largest forum in English catered just to IDN domains. The concept is easy but most will miss the boat.

I own simple luxury items in Japanese like mink, sable, pink diamond, vodka, gin, in the dot com & dot jps. After the new internet explorer comes out & these domains are mainstream I'm set...

Most people will doubt it... But I know some people who doubted it but now have over several hundred real premium IDN domains in various languages.Not the so called crappy Premium domains you see that "might potentially" mean something but real generic keywords in various languages.

Olney, Feb 23, 2006 IP