1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fun with Ebay and Paypal

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by iowadawg, Mar 12, 2006.

So last night, I won an auction at ebay for a new computer system (yeah with 19" lcd monitor and all).
    Did not have enough money in paypal to pay for it, and the only option they gave me for adding funds was my bank account...could not do that.
    Sent email to paypal (not expecting an answer for a day or two or three, as usual with them).
    And whoosh! Paypal actually sent me an email explaining how to use my credit card to fund my account,,,,the email arrived less than one hour after I had emailed them!
    So, I withdrew all my money to my bank, once my account went to zero, poof!
    Now I could have the choice of credit card or bank account to fund my paypal account.
    Chose c/c and then paid for the auction that way.
    Everything is cool, right?
    NO, today, because I used the wrong address in paying with paypal, the seller in ebay turns right around and refunds my payment!
    This is so, he says, that I can now pay him and use the correct address so he can send off my computer. Using wrong address, and wanting it sent to right address, told him I might be a scammer!
    Anyways, we got it all settled.
    Now just have to wait for paypal and my c/c company to make the right adjustments so I can again start the process to pay for the computer with my credit card.

Lesson learned: Paypal cares about their customers. Make sure to use correct address in future. And have to clean out account to use c/c.

PS...we are not talking a minor amount in this ongoing transaction..big bucks!

iowadawg, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  2. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think I share your logic :)
    Although it isnt actually paypal's fault (its government legislation) this whole "cant post to a different address" really annoys me. What is I want to send a gift. What if the item is electronic, why do they care where the address is?

At least this is the case in the UK. I buy say an ebook and I cant pay by credit card if I give a different to address to the one registered with my card.

I really cannot see why that will cut fraud in a big way...

dsm56, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have to clean out my account to use my credit card. I choose either to fund via my card or my bank account once my paypal account is depleted.

mdvaldosta, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  4. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought verifying against your address was standard when using a credit card (unless you physically have the card and sign for it on a receipt).

It's a real pain when taking CC payments over the net and the phone, address and name doesnt match the account. It just flags up warnings for me personally. I dont know why people cant stick to the address where the bill goes to and use their name when buying things. It would make my life easier.

One thing I noticed that a local computer supplier does here is makes you use the registered address for shipping for the first order and if it passes through ok then you can choose any other address afterwards with that same card.

MatthewN, Mar 13, 2006 IP