1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Full width image banner

Discussion in 'CSS' started by imza86, Jan 3, 2016.

Hi guys, currently i am doing up a mock website as a portfolio. This is the website http://www.noor-azmi.com/nt/ .

I am making the site as a full width website, something i am struggling now is how to make my banner image full width even for big monitors. Is there no other way that you just have to find an image that will fit your full width ? I really like this image to be my banner.
    As you can see in my attached image the banner side will have a BG colour of black, i want the banner to cover the whole area DP1.jpg

imza86, Jan 3, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That is a genuinely bad idea. Simply because you have screens with up to 4k resolution nowadays, which means that for most users, they'll be downloading an image that is WAY bigger than need be, and won't see quite a lot of it. Better to create a fixed max-width, and fit things inside that container. That will also help provide a restraint, so content doesn't end up too wide on wide-screen monitors (when you have to move your head to read the full paragraph on a page, they've made the content too wide).

PoPSiCLe, Jan 3, 2016 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Generally speaking, as @PoPSiCLe said, that's a really bad idea, but really that site design REEKS of being slapped together by an artist instead of an ACTUAL designer. (admittedly, that describes the majority of ignorant fools calling themselves web designers)

Those massive images have ZERO place on a legitimate website. Do you see Google doing that? FaceBook? CraigsList? How many LEGITIMATE successful websites do you see pulling those types of stunts, that aren't just havens for the artsy-fartsy types to hang out at?

Even just your little tiny sample image would have me saying to pitch that in the trash and start over, focusing on ACTUAL content first instead of some artsy bandwidth wasting image. Do a paintover AFTER you have content plugged into a working layout, not the other way around!

deathshadow, Jan 3, 2016 IP
  4. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I assume that this is for tourism promotion, so you will want to get as much search engine traffic as you can.

WELL let's talk about SEO. Along with what has already been pointed out concerning this horrible design, you are sending the message to the Google crawlers: "nothing here; move along; go somewhere else.

Banner images are not content. So that design has exactly zero content above the fold; a very important consideration for SEO; and a mistake that contributes to the high failure rate for sites that are not professionally developed.

You like the image, there may be others who also like it. Google crawlers will not like; and Google will decide if you get traffic or not. Put ego and personal likes/dislikes in your back pocket, and get to work developing content instead of wasting your time screwing around with a bad design.

COBOLdinosaur, Jan 14, 2016 IP