1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

From Zero to Super Website Designer in 2 Steps

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'll look them up.

Seriously - I've been on sites like that where I've given up and gone back to the "whitepages" because its been too hard to find on their site. But what I see on this site is guys who ask for reviews on their site designs and they're a mixed match bunch of images and colours that "look neat" but would never be proposed by even a rookie graduate designer.

I'd be pretty damn certain that if I did a 3 year, university level, design course - like the Berkeley one you mention - that they cover more than how to use photoshop.

Back in the day when I was a student doing marketing we got told how we can't use yellow and green in packaging because it turns customers off. But if you go to Australia where they are the national colours you do use them because they make the customer feel patriotic. At the moment our weetbix boxes are black and white because NZ is hosting the Rugby World Cup and our teams colours are black and white. I bet if you went to the USA or China and proposed B&W cereal boxes the marketing execs would think you'd lost your mind. That stuff gets covered in a proper course. I'm not sure I'd rely on YouTube clips to properly school anyone applying for a job if I was the future employer.

And if you are a Super Website Designer you would be employable, right? Even if you preferred to stay freelance or just work on your own projects.

Not at all but then nobody goes to a web designer for a business plan or financial projections. They're part of the team but they come after you've worked out what you want your business to do.

sarahk, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  2. hotnoob

hotnoob Member

Best Answers:
    uhhm, ofc they can learn to design; i started off at 10 making the worst pieces of crap ever, they had functionality but looked like shit.
    wasn't till 16/17 that i got remotely decent at design lol; it really just takes practice and trying new things.

you can definitely learn it, for example, most UK programmers who learn how to design in the UK, ALL DESIGN THE SAME WAY!
    it's soooo bland like their culture lol, but you can't deny their stuff looks good.

hotnoob, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  3. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    WTF are you smoking dude ,an architect just creates the plan he designs the building , then the structural engineer transforms it into a viable building plan that get's chopped up and sent on site .

To become a architect you need years of graphics , sculpture , painting and architecture(building only art and structural engineering basics) .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  4. marksmit

marksmit Peon

Best Answers:
    Those options which you have mentioned (w3school and youtube) is really great. Usually if I faced any problem at that time I was taking help of youtube. Its clips are very helpful and cleared all my doubts. This is help for new learners. No doubt one can be super designer if he or she followed w3school and youtube throughly.

marksmit, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Mark - tips to do with design, or realising the design?

sarahk, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  6. marksmit

marksmit Peon

Best Answers:
    This is tips for designing.

marksmit, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    w3schools are for realising the design and turning it into something usable on the web. They won't help your creative processes.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  8. weaver01

weaver01 Peon

Best Answers:

How does realizing a design not help with creative processes?

I don't understand what all the cynicism going around here is all about.

weaver01, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Because you don't start slicing and dicing your psd files until after you have decided what goes where, how buttons will be positioned, colour, flow of the pages. The genuinely creative stage is complete.

Its not cynicism, its just that we see lots of guys who think that if they understand the tools they can do the job. Design is hugely competitive and ultimately its only the guys with real talent who will make a decent living. The rest will be frustrated and disappointed. Its far better to know upfront just what is involved that to discover the hard way - through failed designs and grumpy clients.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  10. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice one Sarah couldn't have said it better myself . One thing that i would like to add is that besides talent to do virtual design you also need to be very conformable with the programs you need to use . When i 1st started i thought Photoshop is the begin all end all , only to see that it is highly limited and i need to use a lot more tools to get the job done the way i want it .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  11. filejungle

filejungle Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing! I also learn PHP and CSS from nothing. And I find this website developphp.com/ really very useful.

filejungle, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  12. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah thank you. The irony of many of the posts on here is that I was saying, with my method one would be ahead of 90% of the "crap" designers on the web, that everyone is so mad at.

Also, people assume that 70% [i'll be generous and say this is what they're assuming, although it sounds like they believe 90%] of "artists" go to art school / design school.

Let me say this, as an example. I have always been able to "dance". I have felt the music. And, I had won contests in school growing up, in dance. When I got to college and joined a dance company, they tought me ballet, among other things. For all the perception that ballet is fru fru, or whatever, the reality is, it is technical and not art at all. The very first thing they teach in ballet is that you have 4 quarters that you can divide the body into on each side. The entire system is then based on those quarters. Can ballet look "pretty"? Sure it can. But the more technical you become in ballet, the more amazing you appear. Can ballerinas and ballet masters become choreographers? 90% do not and probably can't. A real technical master can.

Let's apply that to the web design argument everyone has been having. I posted that in 2 simple steps, an idiot can appear to be an amazing web "designer". My two steps are the ballet class of design. Instead of paying $40,000 to make you create your own portfolio, I give you all the technical training you need in my 2 steps. What's the end product? A technical dancer on the web. It's odd, people are trying to compare my steps to someone that pirates photoshop and dreamweaver, since I clearly state the steps are not for the feint of heart.

It is not rocket science to be a web designer. That's why Asia is now taking over and sapping the market by charging $10/hr for craptastic websites. [this is not a racist statement, it is directly relevant to the industry, but it's not here for debate] Meanwhile, people who are wishing they had the tools to be a web designer ARE shoveling out mess, broken pages, illegible and unusable design. I have always been one that if I see something, and I can change it, to make it better, I do it. On many occasions I have been in a bar, and two people are staring at each other, but the guy doesn't have the balls to go over to the girl. I always turn to them and say "oh for the love of god, would you two just get over it and say hi".

Clearly I don't see the resistance people are having with my post. Are they advocating design school to be the be all end all of web design? Who knows? There might be an artist out there, who wishes he had the technical education to be a web designer, but hasn't come across anything worthwhile yet. I give him that.

Oh, and free. :)

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  13. flammab1e

flammab1e Member

Best Answers:
    It really comes down to form vs function. Web designers want to create a "pretty" site and start with form. Web developers are coming from a place of function. It's possible to have both, but where you start is a big clue as to if you're a developer or designer.

flammab1e, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  14. coolbuha

coolbuha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hai thanks for the share..W3schools is really a great place for learning..you can also search youtube for more web designing videos..

coolbuha, Sep 11, 2011 IP