1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

From Great to poor in the last few hours...

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by chrisd, Jun 8, 2007.

1. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are making a wise business decision. I will most likely follow your approch.

Same for me, yesterday was not that bad (probably a little under 50%) I expected a lot less.

I emailed Google, I would really be surprised if they did not reinstate my site.
    If they do not, it means original content prevails over relevancy. Which could be an indicator of how irrelevant Google might become, as least for me.;)

pexcornel have fun at the auto show and try to bring one of those girls home in your new car.:p Barcelona is a beautiful city and Catalonia a beautiful region. You are very lucky to live there.

chrisd, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  2. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    That is the problem these days. A page built strictly for visitors has the potential to suffer from Google's penalties.

So the end result is you just have a system that is gamed.

aeiouy, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  3. xscream9

xscream9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Completely agree. It's very frustrating as Google is constantly changing what they deem as "relevant and useful information".

I understand the guidelines for the organic search results but how can a sponsored ad really EVER be considered a "good user experience"?

xscream9, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  4. flip

flip Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm dusting off my MSN and Y accounts, too. Only problem with Y is that, with Panama, Y has begun to slavishly imitate everything that G does. So we would have a few months' reprieve before Y instituted someting like this, too.

flip, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  5. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is creating a "race" for data, as if everything was a blog that needs daily original content. We are seeing more and more site create/display junk data. Look at the bottom of the main page of http://www.pricewatch.com/ ( a great site by the way)
    Even stores nowadays have to do this (review/comments/forum/blog/feeds...etc...).

They are many type of businesses were the value to their users is not original nor fresh data. Look at this poor guy from another board
    Googles current algorithms are too primitve and or not susbtainable by Google itself and many of its customers. The more Google algorithms require "original data" the more data will be produced and in an endless "race". The 2 groups that will survive the longest will be the huge compagnies (because they can produce the data) and the techno savvy aff. marketers (because they are agile and they can jump through the Google hoops).

Keep the thoughts coming.

chrisd, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  6. mykel79

mykel79 Guest

Best Answers:
    I just had one thought - how many here had Google Analytics on the pages that got hit?

mykel79, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  7. pexcornel

pexcornel Peon

Best Answers:
    I had and still have
    pex

I just forgot about Adwords altogether.
    I have a better life now :))

pexcornel, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  8. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    Msn generally converts better and they have more targetting options. Its just a shame they can't provide the same volume as google.

amnezia, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  9. Optimus Crime

Optimus Crime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear that...happens to everyone sometime or the other I guess...

Optimus Crime, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  10. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did not use Google Analytics...

For my banned site (yea all $10 bids is like banned) I'm doing a bunch of stuff.
    If anything works will post...

pexcornel what was the highlight of the car show ?

chrisd, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  11. mykel79

mykel79 Guest

Best Answers:
    chrisd: If you didn't have Google Analytics, there goes my theory ;)
    I thought maybe they were flagging sites where the user spent a short time and then exited to a different site. Which of course is what most of us want the user to do when we build affiliate landing pages.

mykel79, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  12. pexcornel

pexcornel Peon

Best Answers:
    chrisd:
    I will post pictures on Flickr this afternoon.
    Goods: Many Formula1 cars, Citroen C6 I liked it, Peugeot 4007 nice. Nice Alfa Romeo, Bentley, Ferrari, Rolls and Masseratti etc etc
    Bads: NO BMW on the show. Also missing: Jaguar.

chrisd I would like to point out that on my logs, I had Google Ips without bot ID that spent minutes on some pages that I advertise with Adwords, and in total they entered the site many times, for hours. Looks like manual visits to me, after I have posted here. Nothing changed though, so I guess they stand on their position.

Don't ask what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country ;)

pexcornel, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  13. retrocode0071

retrocode0071 Banned

Best Answers:
    This thread has been very informative....

I felt the dreaded slap on one of my domains/campaigns a while ago, so I just let it die... and moved onto other things. After reading this I will try a new domain name, a new campaign and make some slight changes to the content. I don't think I need a new IP address

Here is the question
    I also moved to a blog like content, and moved my advertising to the sidebar, with the landing post/page without any affiliate links at all, would that be good enough to satisfy Google. I will attempt this, and see what happens. Is it good enough that landing pages are ad free.

How long can I run this campaign until google slaps me again... If I can expect 6-9months before being caught again... then its an annoyance issue.

Have they targeted my account, I don't think they have since there are other similar campaigns into other niche markets running nicely.should I open a new account? If so google advertising is now dead to me.

retrocode0071, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  14. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been ignoring this thread up until now, since I've had no problems on any of the accounts that I manage.

I see that a few other people haven't been affected, though how many (like me) haven't had a problem, and as a result haven't posted, I don't know...

Would I be right in saying that this problem affects Affiliate Marketers, but not 'direct' advertisers?

If so, then I agree with:

I know that in my personal experience, nothing annoys me more than clicking on an advert on Google, only to find a page full of links which may or may not bear any resemblance to what I'm actually looking for (depending on the competence of the advertiser).

Perhaps Google has over-reacted on this, but their whole objective is to get the most relevant and useful search results that they can on the page. If they decided that they were losing out to Yahoo! on this front, then their decision makes sense - they don't want to take any chances, and lose market share.

Of course, if their advertising revenue falls off too much, they may decide to reverse their decision, but I'm not holding my breath...

CustardMite, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  15. thebigbreak

thebigbreak Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the flaw here is believing that anything built should factor in Google's reaction and understanding of it as a factor. That's not to say that you, retrocode, are wrong -- Google is.

Why should designers have to cater to Google's needs simply to use their advertising system in a meaningful manner? If I were to place an ad in the newspaper, they won't tell me what to write and how to portray my business -- would they?

Of course not.

Seriously... we're all scrambling to build privacy pages, contact us pages, and to make hardcore edits to our sites for no reason other than to satisfy Google.

It's ridiculous, and as so many have said here -- it detracts from the user experience. Where's the value of that?

I love this reaction and applaud it. I just wish that AdCenter and YSM could offer competitive products to a similarly large audience. Otherwise, as much as we have a sharp distaste for Google, we're still inclined to do business with them so long as we want to pull any sort of volume for our efforts.

thebigbreak, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  16. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Privacy policies and contact us info detracts from the user experience?

Give me 1 real world example where that's true.

GuyFromChicago, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  17. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree - if I search for digital cameras, it'd be nice to get ten companies that sell digital cameras (or at least, are genuine review sites or comparison sites), rather than links that claim to sell cameras, but then just link to some more sites that may or may not sell what I want.

How does not giving me what I'm searching for enhance my experience - I know that Google will offer me relevant results in the main part, but the same isn't necessarily true for affiliates (even though I'm sure some do).

18. thebigbreak

thebigbreak Guest

Best Answers:
    I cannot provide an example where that's true.

If you're looking to buy, research, compare or just learn about something -- what value does a 20 page policy provide to you? If you're truly in that mode (of a buyer, researcher, etc.) do you need a privacy policy simply to view a page? To research a product? To learn more about where you can buy a product? Of course not!

Now, if you're buying, submitting or uploading information... quite the contrary. The fact is though that the people being hit by this new filter of sorts are those that don't even pull in information on it's users... They're the ones who send the traffic to the most appropriate resources.

That's my point though... If you end up at a virtual mall of sorts where you're presented with other links to other sites where you could read, review, etc. any product... why would the first page you visited need a privacy policy? You're not there to buy anything or submit information to them -- you're there to find what you're looking for and it's up to the landing page to provide that.

With your example -- you could be looking for the place that offers the best price... the most comprehensive reviews... the best rebates... accessories... etc.

Not a privacy policy.

19. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that Google is intending to penalise people for not having a privacy policy - it's affiliates that they are after (and the privacy policy is a good way to spot them).

As I said, I'm sure that there are affiliate sites that do offer a good customer experience, but I'm also sure that there are plenty that don't.

Wouldn't Adwords without affiliate links BE a virtual shopping centre (sorry - mall, I'm English)?

20. thebigbreak

thebigbreak Guest

Best Answers:
    I thought that was what Froogle was for?

Again, let's assume you're searching for a Kodak Digital Camera. AdWords should cover the gamut, from sites that offer reviews, to sites selling the cameras, to sites with accessories, digital photography tips, etc.

To me, the underlying theme here is that Google released an advertising system designed to be integrated with their ads. They did that and have become phenomenally successful with it.

Since they found success though, they keep going back to force changes so that they're more happy with the medium. The introduction of quality score was one step in this progression, and so too were Friday's updates.

I'm a big time supporter of the saying -- if aint broke, don't fix it.