1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fried My Desktop. Need Help Choosing Parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NutraTech, Jan 22, 2014.

So, I spilled a glass of water on my tower last fall (don't ask) and I didn't get power. I replaced my PSU and now it powers up.
    So now I get power, but still no display. I think it gets to POST, but I can't actually hear/see anything.
    Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new motherboard or a new graphics card. I kinda need a new graphics card anyway, but I don't want to spend the money if that's not the issue.
    Does anyone know of a way I can zone in on the source of the problem? My mobo doesn't have onboard graphics, so I can't use that.

NutraTech, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  2. limitlessjz

limitlessjz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have access to another computer with a graphics card you can borrow? Do you have a fan on your graphics card? Is it spinning when you boot it up? There are a lot of variables here. I'd start with unplugging everything. Take all the RAM out and try booting as well. You'd have to consider damage to the MOBO or PSU if water leaked in there as well. First start with the easy stuff and start narrowing it down.

limitlessjz, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  3. BCLlancer

BCLlancer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I suggest you find computer repair service near you. And find the one which can offer you free diagnostics. So they will say where the problem is hoping you will say: repair it for me. But you just say I will think and repair it by yourself :)

BCLlancer, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  4. gotkloud

gotkloud Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh noes! I'd just recommend a clean build: time to go to newegg!

gotkloud, Jul 27, 2014 IP