1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Freelancing Websites: Experiences?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by writtalin, Mar 12, 2014.

1. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that people see the pay rates, total earnings and job info, unless you choose to hide the job details... and then the reference is irrelevant, as it could easily be faked. If you want to build a decent reputation, it is far better (IMHO) to have well-paid, highly-rated jobs in your completed work list than a bunch of cheap-ass throwaway tasks.

And it's depressing doing those cheap jobs, too. :D

TIEro, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  2. neest321

neest321 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I
    Designing as a service is very competitive market.

I work as freelancing inbound marketer and often work with small businesses and recommend freelancing sites like elance and oDesk, the problem as a supplier is that you may struggle to compete with non first world countries in terms of pricing. So you need to find something which gives you local advantage over others but if you can offer quality, you will always have work. Here is a list of major freelancing sites you can explore http://www.inboundio.com/blog/list-freelancing-sites/

neest321, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  3. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I agree mate. However, the intention is to only do a few cheap tasks so that people know you are legitimate. There is a plethora of freelancers, and that is why testimonials can help you to secure contracts. Well I think it should be balanced between both of our points :).

Ethan Alvin, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  4. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could add SEOClerks to the gigs. Nice list - I was expecting something bloated and useless, but it's concise and up to date!

TIEro, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  5. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Exactly. Most of the people (myself included) use these freelancing sites to find first world services at third world rates.

6. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the hardest things to do online is build reputation. Starting in the wrong direction just makes that harder, IMHO. I made that mistake when I started out and it took me MONTHS of solid work to repair the damage. I will never take a low-paid gig again, no matter what, and will never advise anyone to do it. The expected long-term payback is never enough or never arrives.

But to each his/her own. The thing with online work is that every approach works. Some approaches just work better than others, depending on your situation.

TIEro, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  7. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sure. Let's just agree to disagree. There are so many methods to market your services.

8. neest321

neest321 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't own that site, you can reply in the comments regarding SEOClerks, they should be able to add it

neest321, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  9. Kevin Ezekiel

Kevin Ezekiel Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why dont you join Lionize Digital and increase your revenue.

Kevin Ezekiel, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  10. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Re selling websites to Boomers. Are you wanting to do this strictly online?

As a baby boomer myself, I can tell you that the public library is a popular location for those of us who grew up doing our reading out of books, rather than from a screen. Have you tried or considered either giving talks or putting up a notice at the library, coffee shops and rec centers where we boomers tend to hang out?

I am one of the few people my age that I know who can navigate the internet. This age group does not feel competent (a lot don't, not all) on a computer, nor do they necessarily trust it. I know of two people, personally, who refuse to set up online banking because somebody might take their money. See what I'm driving at?

Get personal with them, so they feel safe. If you can't instill the trust factor, you'll never get their money.

Speaking of money, many of them are, umm....thrifty. Just sayin'. Again, not all but quite a few.

Annea, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  11. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're going to start freelancing then in the beginning you need to do everything you can to get customers, so definitely use Craigslist and freelance sites. I make a nice income from freelance sites like Elance, oDesk and Guru, but most of my local clients come from CL. I prefer using freelance sites but you gotta get all the customers you can to build up a reputation and portfolio. Just stick with hourly work and charge what you think your time is worth, and only take on fixed rate projects with upfront payment.

Just read more of your posts in the thread and I see you want to go the local route.. start cold-calling small business owners and make sure your CL ad is always at the top, if you live in a big city then you might need to pay someone to post a CL ad for you daily or at least three times a week. If you have a nice portfolio website and are good with talking to people and selling, it'll be easy. You might also want to become a hosting reseller so you can make more $$$, they typically don't want to handle signing up for host and domain, handle everything for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    cronik, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  12. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's mostly to build a reputation. Eventually you can do higher quality work.

ash1ey82, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  13. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    no... just no...

I dont think you understand how much EVERYONE hates cold callers. Do you know why I dont have a home phone number? Because the few times I did, I had that many cold calls it was ridiculous. Why pay $50 per month for a home phone, just so that people can harass you. Its the same thing at work, our company has been known to get 5+ cold calls a day, webdesign is probly the top culprit. Business people HATE people that waste their time, and they actually have to pay out money to have people answering phones to deal with cold callers, so this puts enormous resistance against any cold caller. In fact, EVEN IF it is a product that a company needs, because you are a cold caller, they will not listen to you. Whats worse, some cold callers use sneaky tricks and excuses to get past receptionists to talk to the big boss, and I have seen one receptionist get blasted for this.

If you sign up for franks newsletter at dontcoldcall, you will find that the hatred for bastards that cold call is almost universal. Not only that, but the success rate is pitiful and does not bring a proper return for effort invested. If you take the time to read his book, he shows other highly successful ways that are much more positive, with a much better return for effort invested.

matt_62, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  14. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very useful. All of it. Thank you!

writtalin, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  15. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Believe me I hate cold-callers as well but this is definitely not true for everyone. Spending an hour making cold-calls to end up with at least one $200+ project is not bad, and many of these people will want to meet with you which gives you the opportunity to upsell them on other services and add-ons. It's not difficult at all if you're good at this kind of stuff, just don't hassle businesses, call them once and if they say no then take no as an answer and don't call back.

cronik, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  16. Jeremy Moncur

Jeremy Moncur Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I do web design and get some clients from Craigslist. It's not a substantial amount but they come here and there. I make sure to always have a post up with some sort of special offer to stand out a bit. In my experience elance, odesk, etc... can be great places to hire workers but getting jobs is tough as the competition is pretty stiff. When it's off Craigslist you usually end up meeting up with them and collecting payment face-to-face so no problem there. I usually collect at least half if not full payment before I start a job.

Other than Craigs though, networking can get you decent jobs. Letting your personal network know that you build sites usually gets a few jobs coming in and you can keep building on that with client referrals and such. There was a suggestion earlier about going door to door to visit small businesses and that's definitely an effective strategy too. You could make a little flier that you can leave with business owners outlining your offering. If you're in the US, I use the postal services eddm (every door direct mail) and target business districts. My postcard get to the door for under 40 cents a piece and sending 1,000 or so cards usually gets me a few jobs.

Jeremy Moncur, Mar 18, 2014 IP
    cronik likes this.
  17. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, this is more along the lines of my plan.

writtalin, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  18. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Craigslist most likely won't get you anything. If you want to be a Freelance Web Designer you're better off finding a niche to work within. Freelance Web Designer for Hair Stylists. Bands? Gyms? ... etc

NetStar, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  19. dsmpub

dsmpub Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi I personally use odesk and i have found that if you price yourself correctly you can make some good money. Last year we was in the top 1% of earners on their and we found that their was a stigma attached to low paid jobs, but like someone has already put if you set a price that you think you are worth and are good at the services you offer then you should not have a problem.

You always get dodgy clients but a good deal of research is needed before you start.

dsmpub, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  20. writtalin

writtalin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks! Just weighing all of my options. I see no reason not to approach things locally and nationally.

writtalin, Mar 19, 2014 IP