1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Freelancer.com . I'm unsure if I can trust my client

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by Dave Davin, Mar 23, 2016.

Hello there, if you could please bring some light in this murky situation.

First off, I am new to these kind of sites. I have placed a bid on a project and the person that posted it got in touch with me and started to discuss the project (saying that he liked my presentation an believes we can make the project happen). The project requires me to write him a pilot and some character for a show.

He got in touch with me by sending a message on freelancer.com (not email or an outside source) . However from what I have read I was supposed to get a notification that he accepted my bid and I was supposed to review on what we agreed on (regarding hours/payment) and have the option to accept or refuse. None of this happened and I have no notifications anywhere on my profile or mail (regarding him accepting the bid) . The current state of the project states : closed (regarding new bids).

What I'd like to know is : Did he in fact accept my bid or is just messaging me regarding the project as if he did (in chat under his username the title of the project appears ). From discussions with him we agreed that I will send him some characters ideas and if he likes it I will start working on the pilot, he mentioned he will send me an upfront payment when we get to that point, but didn't specify trough what and how much.
    He wants me to post my work on google docs which is not uncommon however my question is : How can I be sure that he will actually pay me for my work when he could easily take copy the document I share with him at any point (ex. when its 60% done ) and run off or cancel the project and keep the script .

The reason I am so unsure of this is simply because the client strikes me as a narrow minded person(therefore I can't say he inspires me any trust).

TL;DR
    I posted a bid on freelancer . The client messaged me on the site saying he'd like to work with me. I didn't receive any notifications regarding my bid being accepted. He wants me to share the work I make on google docs with him. After some conversation he proved to be pretty narrow minded by saying the things I made are not similar enough to family guy/simpsons therefore aren't funny enough to make it. This left a somehow unsatisfied feeling from him. I am worried that if I put a lot of work in this(as he expects me to now) he will just run off with the script.

Dave Davin, Mar 23, 2016 IP
  2. chellosp

chellosp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ask him to open another job post and hire you. Don't do any job before being hired and have confirmation that your milestone (create one!) was paid.

chellosp, Mar 24, 2016 IP
  3. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If this the case, please ask the buyer to officially place the bid on your project so that in the future you can take legal action against him if the buyer run off with your script.

mentos, Mar 25, 2016 IP
  4. kimanierick

kimanierick Member

Best Answers:
    I have a lot of experience in working with freelancing sites most of the time with upwork. I have done some work in the past just to show my new employer that i can do my job well and that i know what i am doing, and that was happening when i send my bid. But in your case, it is a great risk giving the employer your script without any contract or without any money. So, contact the man and tell him that if he wants to work with you he must give you something in return, something that you can be certain with that you won't be played at the end. Many times it is better to pass the offer rather than work your a** off and not get a penny. I have contacted many people for a certain job, but the conversation with them was not worth the effort to try and do their job.

kimanierick, May 2, 2016 IP
  5. Mybulen

Mybulen Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you got a bad feeling bro, i live by this rule, piss off my bad feeling and must fking piss off. It has served me well. the times i have said i know this is dodge but maybe i have always been wrong. When someone/thing doesn't feel right move onto something that does. You gotta trust your gut bro. i know this may sound stupid it is almost like a super power we have not trusting situations. Kinda like when you in a class of 50 students and you staring at this beautiful girl and she is like in a random place but within a second she stares right back hahah ya that is not normal :p in closing trust your instinct, never chase money on a bad feeling and never go all on a bad feeling.

Mybulen, May 6, 2016 IP