1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

freeblackberry.co.uk

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by Cory93, Sep 14, 2010.

On the 9th I snapped up =]

"freeblackberry.co.uk" (is it worth approaching BlackBerry) I think the domain can be used for so many thing like "free blackberry apps" free blackberry" "free blackberry software ect.

I have been told this is just as good as having "freeiphone.co.uk"

How much is is worth and what should I do with it

Thanks =]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Cory93, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  2. Cory93

Cory93 Peon

Best Answers:
    Anybody? Need a honest quick reply.

Cory93, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  3. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Approach Blackberry? Lol!

If you approach them, they will in all likelihood take the domain from you and you will be lucky if they refund you the reg fee.

The problem is your domain consists of their trademark. According to me it is quite worthless, unless you get permission from RIM to use the domain and keep that written proof.

Rian, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  4. Cory93

Cory93 Peon

Best Answers:
    so what if I get it really high in google? They can can just take it?

If im promoting a legitimate way to get a free blackberry, what can they do?

Cory93, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  5. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you use it without their permission, I am afraid they can just take it.

They may claim that you are infringing on their trademark.

Registrars will simply remove the domain from your profile if legal actions are taken by the company, this is why there are so many warnings on this forum for members to stay away from trademarked domains.

Rian, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  6. Cory93

Cory93 Peon

Best Answers:
    in that case what should I do.

What makes it a trademark domain free "blackberry"

so can this persons site get taken down. simplyfree"iphone" because he is using the work iphone wich apple have a copyright on.

So to confirm any site with the words iphone and blackberry in it can be taken down?

Cory93, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  7. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would highly recommend you read this:

http://www.topranksolutions.com/domain-names-with-trademarks/

You can also do a google search on trademarked domain names.

Below is a WIPO decision. Take a look at the last sentence what can happen: (http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2008/d2008-1975.html)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Rian, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  8. fren

fren Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great one, Rian.

Trademarked domain is a very risky (or should I say bad?) investment. Don't build a website or forum there. If you get up high on the search engines or get a lot of traffic, they can take it by force. You will lose, Cory. My suggestion; sell it back, fast. Or don't.

Good luck.

fren, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  9. Vcize

Vcize Member

Best Answers:
    Don't live in fear, Cory. There are thousands upon thousands of people out there with large, profitable websites built around trademarked terms. Hundreds of sites about iphones, Madden, psp, etc.

Realistically, the company is very unlikely to come after you unless you are using the domain to either hurt their reputation or directly take a large percentage of direct sales/money away from them. There are a bajillion sites giving away free iphones, free PS3's, free sony tvs, etc that those companies never touch.

While it is true that the risk will always be there, as long as you're smart about it you will be fine.

Vcize, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  10. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Really stupid advice. There are thousands of banks robbed every year - so with your logic, it will be ok if you are smart about doing it because not everyone gets caught. If you are sued for infringement, you can wind up owing huge sums of money in legal fees and damages. Making a couple of dollars to risk huge sums of money is plain stupid.

mjewel, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  11. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agree with you mjewel.

This is really stupid advice.

Rian, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  12. Vcize

Vcize Member

Best Answers:
    No one is going to sue anyone over infringement for putting up a CPA offer to win a blackberry. Don't be ridiculous. The absolute worst that would happen is they would ask him to take the site down and take the domain, and even that is extremely unlikely. Sites with "iphone" in the URL are sold on sites like flippa (and here) for tens of thousands of dollars, right there in the public eye.

Your bank analogy is ridiculous. This is more akin to crossing a street outside of a crosswalk even though it's technically jaywalking, or drinking a beer while tailgating for a football game amongst 90,000 other people doing the same thing even though technically it's illegal to have an open container.

Vcize, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  13. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You need to take some time and reflect on the advice you are giving to people.

Fact is, yes, you can register and you can buy or sell these domains. I agree with you, it is being done everyday on Flippa, here and on many other websites as well.

Like you mentioned above, the worse that could happen is that they could close your site and take the domain.

If you spent $10,000 or even less on buying a website and domain name and WIPO rules against you, what would you do? The domain simply gets taken, you have no say or way to get it back.

Is this the advice you are giving to newbies? The more experienced domainers knows well to stay away from these domains.

Go to WIPO and read through some decisions. If you have one of these domains and generate income from the site, in any manner, it is being seen as you registering the domain in bad faith.

Think again before giving advice.

If a thousand domainers decide to come together and jump off Kilimanjaro, will you do the same?

Rian, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  14. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Besides, here is my advice:

If you have such domain or are interested in buying such a domain or website, contact the company involved. Inform them of you intentions and what you intend to do with the domain / website.

If they give you permission, you are free to go ahead with your plans.

If not, you are running the risk of losing the site and domain in any event.

Rian, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  15. Vcize

Vcize Member

Best Answers:
    I agree it would be stupid for someone to mortgage their house and fund a website that has a trademark in the domain, there's no questioning that. But that's not what we're talking about here. The guy spent 10 bucks to register the domain and is talking about throwing up a quick CPA offer on it, probably a couple hours worth of work.

You're right, this guy is a newbie looking to learn the ropes. The irresponsible ones here are the ones screaming about how if he puts this site up he's instantly going to have it taken down and be sued tens of thousands of dollars for it. It's not our responsibility to tell people what to do. We're here to spread information and let people make their own decisions.

Can your website be taken down for having the term "blackberry" in the URL? Yes. Is it likely to happen for the site he's talking about making? No.

Now, Cory, it's your decision to take that information and do what you will with it. If you want to ask blackberry for their permission to use it first at the risk of them taking the domain when you bring it to their attention (or simply saying no), that's probably a good idea. If you want to just build it without their permission you can do that too, with a risk involved. It's your call.

Here's another tip for you Cory. If someone tells you explicitly what to do in the world of internet marketing, they're usually lying or exaggerating. Just think about it. If someone has some super secret formula for making tons of money online, all that telling someone else about it is going to do is ruin it for themselves by adding tons of competition. You need to get into the mindset of taking the information and making your own decisions based on that. Get out of the "should I do this, or should I do that?" mindset and get into the "I need to make a decision on this, can someone give me some more general information about it?" mindset.

Vcize, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  16. niralimarwadi

niralimarwadi Peon

Best Answers:
    Contact Blackberry support and ask them if they have interest to buy it, thats way you have inform them before making any promotion relating blackberry. Do as per their suggestion.

niralimarwadi, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  17. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Contacting the trademark holder about buying a domain with their trademark is the worst thing you can do. It proves their case of a bad faith registration and allows them to take the domain via a UDRP filing.

mjewel, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  18. Cory93

Cory93 Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys look at my other thread. I have 2 domains that has attracted over 17 people. I have had offers for £100 each. Im from the uk, please check it out.

Cory93, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  19. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad for you. Although I have a budget remaining of around $15,000 this year for acquiring domains, I am not interested in this domain, nor am I interested in any other trademarked domain.

Rian, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  20. Cory93

Cory93 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude, Im not trying to sell any of my domains to anyone here. Im not trying to make a living out of this, you obviously are. I just want to know how much they are worth.

Whats your budget got to do with anything? I dont think anyone cares about your budget, it has no relevance to this thread.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    Cory93, Sep 17, 2010 IP