1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Yahoo Inclusion...

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by digitalpoint, Mar 4, 2004.

digitalpoint, Mar 4, 2004 IP
  2. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    i didn't see this earlier, so thanks for the heads up! :D

Such Great Heights, Mar 4, 2004 IP
  3. hasitruparel

hasitruparel Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks a TON, i was not aware of this!

hasit

hasitruparel, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  4. WhiteGyr

WhiteGyr Grunt

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reminder -- I hadn't heard this was going away.

WhiteGyr, Mar 13, 2004 IP
  5. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know why Yahoo is allowing free submission? Man, would I be pissed if I paid for Yahoo submission :D ...

ViciousSummer, Mar 13, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    With the direction that Yahoo seems to be taking I don't know that a free listing in their database will do much good. Seems like they (Yahoo) is determined that every listing (at least the first few hundred results) is a paid listing. For some odd reason though, I've been getting more than normal traffic from Yahoo - just started over the last couple days. I usually get next to nothing from them.

Have you searched on Yahoo recently? Paid listings everywhere. I can't say that I like the layout...at all.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 13, 2004 IP
  7. viggen

viggen Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, had to register at Yahoo to get to the submission page, well at least i have now a @yahoo email adress! :)

viggen, Mar 14, 2004 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems like they (Yahoo) is determined that every listing (at least the first few hundred results) is a paid listing.

Hmm. Well, I took a look at Yahoo yesterday for the first time. I run an amateur niche site that Google once had as high as #31 for what I consider my critical keywords, but which has--despite mildly successful ongoing efforts at link acquisition and fine-tuning to be more SE-friendly--been pushed back, by today, to #61.

Yahoo? I'm #16, on their first page, under those keywords.

Owlcroft, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Check Yahoo again in a week or so and let us know where that 16 ranking is. I'm curious, as I saw a quick jump in Yahoo SERPS followed by an equally quick decline right back out of them. I've been seeing the same thing in MSN.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  10. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I just checked Yahoo and I'm #14 for "Hustler Lingerie" (my #1 kw) & #1 for "Hustler Panties". Don't know how that happened, since I'm not a paid subscriber. Both of these keywords are 100+ deep in Google, ever since Brandy. Any one figure out what's going on with Yahoo?

ViciousSummer, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  11. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Hustling for business I guess, Hehe :)

Foxy, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  12. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, two or three days ago is when I first-ever checked Yahoo, and I was #18. Yesterday, I went from #18 to #16 between two searches perhaps 10 minutes apart. Today I'm #18 again. So it seems, at least over half a week, to be holding fairly steady.

(As a matter of curious interest: I noticed that one listing above mine is a very, very obvious search-engine spam, which I have reported.)

Owlcroft, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  13. Catfish

Catfish Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no ranking advantage to being in Yahoo's PFI service. It merely guarantees you a new crawl every 48 hours and allows you to submit dynamic pages that are hard to get indexed. It also guarantees your inclusion in 72 hours or whatever it is. It makes sense for some businesses that have the budget to participate and who have high conversion rates. For most people, the free submission is the way to go.

Keep in mind also that if you are a Inktomi subscriber, your pages are only guaranteed in Yahoo's index until April 15th.

Catfish, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  14. Catfish

Catfish Peon

Best Answers:
    I am glad to have attained the rank of Peon! LOL

Catfish, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  15. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Arn't we all...hehe...SEO is glorified Hustling... :D

ViciousSummer, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  16. Foxy

Best Answers:
    What a way to go! :p

Foxy, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  17. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    while having far less traffic from yahoo

that statement:
    "...... Seems like they (Yahoo) is determined that every listing (at least the first few hundred results) is a paid listing ..."

Appears NOT at all to be valid for me ..
    i get plenty of top rankings among top 20 or very top few - for various keywords.
    the only main difference is that Yahoo is far behind with its crawling - hence quiet a bit out of date.
    far behind means many months or even years ..

i always and ever used free Yahoo listing - form the time before they started to charge - and always have been crawled by Yahoo ever since they have crawler. The current free AddUrl actually is of little use because their crawler is on site almost daily anyway.

i guess thats valid for all those sites who have lots of content as well.

hans, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  18. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    My point wasn't that as of today you can't be in Yahoo unless you pay. I was commenting more on the fact that their serp pages are dominated by paid ads - even more so than they were just a few months back.

Top, bottom, left, right...oh wait - there's a free listing in a Yahoo serp. It's in a 2pt font squeezed in between 100 paid listings :D

GuyFromChicago, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  19. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Or at least that's my opinion

I believe that Google is messing around too much with its algo under the guise that they are getting it just right - but to me its throwing some wild results.

Dancing it may be, but at the moment its very much like a bull dancing in a china shop and the relevancy is way off track - its as though they are working out a way to beat SEO rather than keeping concentrating on relevancy which is where Yahoo is

Like you my results in Yahoo are much better than Google [like we used to be at Google] and more stable - they stay where they get to - which is better for me as I don't fret over the positions.

Foxy, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  20. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    You certainly don't need to pay for a listing with Yahoo - it's erally for sites/pages that have no visibility and want it. For those sites well SEO'd for their respective keywords, no submission is required. :)

I. Brian, Mar 22, 2004 IP