1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free tool returns SERP's for the top 3 SE's.

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by neterslandreau, Feb 27, 2005.

I woke up a little early this morning and decided to work on developing a little tool that let's me see where my site is ranked on the Big 3 (Google, Yahoo, and MSN). I was getting tired of doing it by hand ;)

Try it here and let me know what you think.

neterslandreau, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I only see this message:

Did I go to the wrong page?

ResaleBroker, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  3. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    No. You went to the right place. While developing it, I was the only one who could view it. Try it now.

Thanks.. you can see why the yahoo function isn't quite done. I'm getting tired.. ;)

4. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    That works great. Thanks. I'll add it to my list of tools. :)

ResaleBroker, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  5. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks.. makes my efforts worth it!

Should have Yahoo done within an hour..

6. zez

zez Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried your tool few times but the results were not always accurate.
    I think the idea behind your tool is very good but maybe you need to test it a bit more...

zez, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  7. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback!

Can you help me in trying to be more accuarate? Like what what was your domain and phrase? This is a work in progress and I need people to help me develop it into some useful.

8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey old pal, your tool works, but needs to link to the result in the SERP's, that would make it much better :)

anthonycea, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  9. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Whoa! The Anthony likes it! I'm stoked!!!

What do you mean, linking it to the SERP's?

10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If it shows my site comes up as #8 in MSN, then I should be able to click on the #8 and go to the search result in question from your results page.

11. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    In other words, you'd like to see the precise query that returned the results?

(I hope you don't mind Shawn, but I'm after ya ;) .. give the people what they want, and they will come back :))

12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, the tool does not add that much value versus what is already on the market if you can not provide this.

PS: I don't thnk Shawn will lose any sleep, he has McDar here with great tools and if your tools cut the Mustard it is good for Digital Point members. :)

13. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh no! I'm beginning to think the 4 hours I spent writing it will be for naught ;)
    All I want to do is benefit someone, somewhere. I mean, the whole website's concept is way overdone. I just wanted to prove to myself I could do it. And no sense sitting on something that *may* be useful to someone else..

(When I originally created the site, I actually ran a *real* nameserver.. Eh, things happen. But to make a long story short, I've been fired from better jobs. When the nameserver went away, I decided to see if I could run it off a dynamic IP. Go figure.. a dynamic dns service running off a dynamic IP?)

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Rome was not built in a day nor will all of your tools or websites be.

I think you have a good looking site and you can always add features to your tools as time moves forward.

Explain in terms folks can understand the benefits of your DNS website because many of us do NOT understand what it is that you have and how it can help us manage our sites.

15. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    I know.. My major problem is my lack of original thought..
    Thank you :)
    My daughter has echoed pretty much the same thing. That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to her graduating and helping to translate my "geek think" to English.

I bought a domain the other day I think could be useful: think-knot.com. I've already thought about marketing it via subdomains; brides.think-knot.com, fishing.think-knot.com, and sailing-think-knot.com. *shrug* It was only 10 bucks..

Thanks anthony, I do appreciate your comments.

16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    That is not the explaination of what the DNS site does, it is?

17. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    :)

No it's not..

OK, say you have a PC you're running at your house from, the worst case scenario, a 56K dialup service. But you're a geek and developed a website that runs off your local server (the PC).

There you are sitting around shooting the breeze with your buds and you want to tell them to check out the website you built. I mean, you think it's pretty awesome and want to show it off, right? The problem is, you forgot that dotted-quad IP address you had this morning. "Ah, dude, it's like, I dunno, 265.45.295.3, or something.."

Wouldn't it be much easier to tell them your website (running off your local PC) is at kewldude.nr.tc?

That's what my service provides.

18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    What is your background/skill sets, did you go to school for programming?

Did you ever do an introduction thread, if not, do one so we can grill you over there. :)

19. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    I first came across the concept of a computer mid-1983. I was in the navy, standing in the payline jawing with a shipmate and he told me about these machines (Apples, I believe he called them) that did some pretty amazing things. A few months later, I saw this little computer with a membrane keyboard that hooked up to my TV (Timex-Sinclair 1000). It was about $30. I took it home, plugged it in and ran some of their stupid demo check-balancing programs. I was not impressed. But then I hit some button and the forms on the screen disappeared and I saw stuff like:
    10 PRINT HELLO
    20 GOTO 10

Wow!! You mean to say you can tell these little boxes what to do?? I was hooked!!!

That led me to get out of the navy after over 10 years and go to school to learn more about, what had become my passion, programming (as an aside, I rec'd the Regents Scholarship from the University of California at the ripe old age of 30.. only 15 were awarded out of over 20,000 applicants on a purely academic basis). The ex-wife wasn't too happy about me staying up all hours playing on the computer so I had to kick her to the curb. But I didn't really care. I was too busy programming.

Yeah I did.. seem to think I titled the thread "I think it's time.." (of course, the first line of my intro was ".. to introduce myself" ;)

20. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well welcome to Digital Point, I don't think I got to your introduction thread, mostly the girls get me going over there, I will not burden you over there now that you have given the forum more information in this thread about yourself.

Keep up the good work, will be in touch down the road as I have a hell of a lot of sites/portals to build and am looking for development partners.

You seen my thread on the 500 landing pages because you posted in it so you know what I am doing I believe :)