1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free SSL certifficate which dont trigger security warning?

Discussion in 'Security' started by postcd, Apr 21, 2014.

postcd, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  2. ez-designs

ez-designs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check out StartSSL

It has a free 1 year SSL plan,

here is a guide on how to get started: https://konklone.com/post/switch-to-https-now-for-free

Just scroll a little bit down.

ez-designs, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  3. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, i think Start SSL is only for non-commercial use ...

postcd, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the security message popup also depends on the browser and its version, so there is still a possibility that some visitors will see the "unsecured" message. But, in any ways, if you are going to take payments, billing details etc. from your clients, going with a Free SSL is not an option I would consider. You want to build trust, loyalty and credibility and you don't do that by denying the security of your customers just to save a few pennies. ;)

Rado_ch, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  5. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rado: can you explain please?

> denying the security of your customer (is it any lower quality certifficate or why?)
    > Free SSL is not an option I would consider

postcd, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure thing, mate.
    When I compare products I always like to follow a simple logic and that is to find where the difference in price is coming from. Its the same as grocery shopping. Take a bottle of Olive Oil for instance. Olive Oil is a common product and there are a number of companies providing it at a different price. The difference comes from the quality of the products used to manifacture it, product costs, packaging, brand reputation etc. And the shopper naturally assumes that the more expensive product and the more reputable brand would be of a higher quality overall (well, we know that's not always the truth, but generally it is). There is a saying in my country which translates into something like "the cheap often turns out to be more expensive". That's very true because if I buy a pair of low quality shoes lets say, chances are they will soon be torn apart. So I will naturally buy new shoes and if I choose the same quality the history will repeat. For that same period if I buy a pair of Adidas shoes which I believe are high quality, there is a big chance that I won't need any new shoes.

Very sorry for the long examples, hope they didn't bore you. The point I was trying to make is that the same applies to any product we can purchase. The Free SSL exists for a reason and I am sure it serves quite a lot of people. However when you compare it to another Paid SSL you can notice differences - some have lower encryption, some are for smaller companies (remember, the Brand can make a sale sometimes). In your example links I saw that the certificates came with very low warrant ($10000 processed). If you are a Tech Shop lets say, you will make $10000 in sales in no time. Then what? Something bad might not happen but if it does - you're not prepared. And your customers will suffer. Now here is the moral dilemma of things. Visually, you still have a site seal that there is an SSL on site and almost all of your customers would not be able to tell the difference of a Free and Paid certificate. But one day you have Visitor X who is more knowledgeable and recognizes a low-quality SSL. Now Visitor X doesn't like that but also feels the need to tell everyone that they are not safe with you. All it takes is for him to write a blog post, forum post or leave a review to warn your other visitors and here it is, your reputation is now going downhill.

To summarize a long story short, I really don't know what your project is and why you need the SSL. I am sharing my personal view of things. When you sell products/services your name (personal and brand) is at stake. So if you want to really succeed, you want to best treat your customers. Saving some dollars from things like an SSL certificate brings you a short-term revenue but any respectful businessman is looking for the long-term profit, so it really is not worth it.

Hope that helps

P.S. Wow, that turned longer than expected :D

Rado_ch, Apr 22, 2014 IP