1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Shipping vs No Free Shipping

Discussion in 'eBay' started by alvin1972, Jan 9, 2011.

Usually nowadays, I saw a lot of seller are selling their items without any shipping charge, just wonder how to earn or get back the money, especially bidding that start with USD0.01, any idea? Please help to understand this further if you know why. Thanks

alvin1972, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  2. ryan-isra

ryan-isra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Such sellers just earn feedback with good DSR ratings, I guess.

ryan-isra, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  3. catan

catan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If it's a popular product then it will always be bid on. Maybe they are selling hundreds of other items too.

Maybe they are using USPS flat rate envelopes/boxes to ship.

catan, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  4. houzhongqiu

houzhongqiu Peon

Best Answers:
    it looks like AD. they can get a lot of consumers to visit their website shop.

if you don't want to sell ,after then you can close the action within after 12 hours

houzhongqiu, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  5. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First maybe the seller has a big ebay shop where you lists and sells lots of items every day, so he can afford to sell his items for a starting bid of 1 cent and provide it with a free shipping as well. If not, then he must be doing for attracting buyers and eventually, if he doesn't get the required price to sell the item, he must be ending the auction OR buying himself with some of his fake ids :)
    No one will do such things just to increase feedbacks on ebay.

China_girl, Mar 6, 2011 IP
  6. sjdataservices

sjdataservices Peon

Best Answers:
    Free shipping is one of the technique used to attract customer. Free shipping can be used in many ways like certain amount of money or paying monthly membership to receive free shipping. This will not only attract customer but also increase your sales and profit.. Free shipping works better for the products that can be shipped at low cost.

sjdataservices, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  7. Wizard

Wizard Member

Best Answers:
    One of my niches on eBay is Hallmark Ornaments. Last fall for a test, I increased the BIN by $3.00 (which is what is cost me) and then offered free shipping. I sold over 300 ornaments from October to the end of the year.

This fall, I lowered the price by $3.00 and charged an additional $3.00 for shipping. So far, have only sold a few. I will stick it out to the end of the year so I can do a more complete comparision.
    However, looks like I will be doing the free shipping again as soon as the season is over.

Wizard, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  8. moxcen

moxcen Active Member

Best Answers:
    They may cancel the item if bid is not met to their target price?

moxcen, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  9. Strategic eMarketing

Strategic eMarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Depending on the item being sold, free shipping can attract potential buyers and sometimes a back offer is offered through email for upsells to make more money. I'm not saying everyone does this but it's good to upsell to make more profit.

Strategic eMarketing, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  10. bosanci28

bosanci28 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm,today i notice that ebay has this fee "Final Value Fee on Shipping" what a crap ebay, they charge for listing,then the fee for sold items,and now i see the fee "Final Value Fee on Shipping"

and i called to find out ,and they said that is better if i put free shipping next time they will not going to charge me any fee next time,

i think ebay is going to far with this fees!...

bosanci28, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  11. Wizard

Wizard Member

Best Answers:
    I do not all the fees as well, esp when they started adding fees to the shipping charge. I had heard this was implemented due to the high number of sellers selling a dollar item and then charging a huge shipping amount to make a profit.

With eBay, it's their ballfield and if you want to play in it, you play by their rules. I don't like it but it's still the best place to sell, esp for small players like myself.

Wizard, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  12. bosanci28

bosanci28 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yap,you right there...this is life! i dont use it to much ,but when i do i guess will just put the item more and put free shipping...i guess,to escape the "Final Value Fee on Shipping" ...

bosanci28, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  13. drunkglitch

drunkglitch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the price usually goes above 0.01USD if its bidding and then they just pay the shipping price with the money they get for selling the item.

drunkglitch, Dec 7, 2011 IP
  14. intelisb

intelisb Member

Best Answers:
    No one make money earning 1 cent. Free shipping is just a gimmick to attract more bidders. In my opinion, always try to offer free shipping and cost in to your selling price

intelisb, Dec 17, 2011 IP