1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Page Rank Service

Discussion in 'SEO' started by iconv, Sep 22, 2004.

Hi, put together a HTML-based service that makes it easy to include a Page Rank, or Page Vote (not sure about the best name, suggestions appreciated) thingy into any page, without having to do any registration or configuration and all that. It can be found at Free Page Rank Service. Your comments and feedback would be appreciated.

iconv, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Err... page rating, not page ranking... :D

Will.Spencer, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  3. iconv

iconv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Will, that is probably better, I'll change it to Page Rating Service.

iconv, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  4. nriweb

nriweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice service...

Just curious...

Will the alternative option (popup) work? If that code is pasted into the users page, I dont see ur url anywhere ... do u want him to install ur rate.php ?

Also what do you get from all this ... the back link?

Overall new service ... But again any guy will just remove ur link and just use the php ...

nriweb, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  5. iconv

iconv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello nriweb

Thanks for spotting that, that should be the full url of course, will change that, thank you. Whats in it for me? Not much really, perhaps the backlinks as you said, its just a useful bit of functionaliy that I have used on other sites, and it was easy to make it available as a general service, so that's what I did.

iconv, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  6. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I could no connect to your server... I'll try again later.

exam, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  7. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    No offence, but what is the point of having a rating counter on your website?

Personally, I think they are pointless and you only have to get one moron to keep scoring you 1 deleting the cookie and scoring 1 again etc. You think someone couldn't be bothered to do that - but theres loads of mindless numpties that would mess it up.

DarrenC, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  8. iconv

iconv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello wwhhomes,

Thank you for your input, I see your point; it does not use cookies though, so cannot so easily fooled. You do need a fair number of participants to make the number meaningful, of course.

As to the utility of it, well, I used it myself on a site that asked its users to choose from a number of different user contributed page designs, and that worked quite well. I could see other uses as well, but it will depend on the kind of pages you have, and wether you think that a quick user feedback of this kind could be helpful.

iconv, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  9. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is pretty spiffy. I do not understand why you mention counters. Is the rate thing also a counter? Is there a stats page? An example of one would be a snappy addition.

dirtdog1960theone, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  10. iconv

iconv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Dirtdog, I'll remove the reference to the counters, thanks; I do have a variation of the ranking stuff that also serves as a counter, but not yet as part of the public service. Do you think that could be a useful addition? Could easily add that. I have been toying with the idea to set up a stats page, perhaps even with automatic backlinking to the pages that use the Page Rank Service, will let you know when it's up. Thanks for your input.

iconv, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  11. hey

hey Peon

Best Answers:
    hey, Oct 3, 2004 IP
  12. iconv

iconv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all your input, and for bearing with me. I moved the whole site to a new server to overcome the performance issues some people encountered. Also, you now get an automatic backlink entry in http://www.i-rate.org/rating/directory.php as soon as you have at least one vote, with the link using your title and meta description, collected automatically by my back-spider, you don't have to do anything, just add the html code from the main page. I recommend the iframe version, it's the most elegant of the two possible methods.

iconv, Oct 6, 2004 IP