1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free iPod - Help me Help You

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Such Great Heights, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    OK so a friend at work just did this Free iPod thing and now he's got a free iPod coming to him in the mail. I am jealous and now I want to get one. Maybe as a birthday present?

All I have to do is complete an offer, then get 5 people to sign up at FreeiPods.com and complete an offer under me.
    Visit my personal page and click on my referral link from there: http://www.nerddotcom.com

Easy right?
    Well yes, and no.
    Completing an offer without spending money is the key here. :)
    Unless of course you want to spend money to get a $300 iPod for free.

Let's just say you don't want to spend money. There are offers like sign up for AOL, and cancel within the first month so they don't charge you, but the catch is you got to call in and listen/convince the AOL people you want to cancel. (if you've tried canceling with AOL before you know how persistent they are. :) )
    There are also offers like Ancestory.com where you sign up, with no cost, and cancel within the day and it counts. (this is the most popular right now)
    Then there are offers like some diet pill you have to order & pay shipping and handling only on, then you can send back to get a refund on shipping, but that's a hassle. Well to some people.

It's all about what you're willing to do for a Free iPod.

You can choose from the 20 GB iPod or the iPod mini, or even $250 Gift certificate to the iTunes Music Store to buy all those songs Shawn helped produce. :)
    URL here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2247

I am open for discussion on this ... as I am eager to get my Free iPod, and I know there have to be some questions about this. I don't know all the answers, but my friend here at work does.
    He also made this little tool called I C Free Pod that sits in your system tray and monitors your Free iPod status and updates itself at timed intervals.

Lets start the Free iPod party train!

Such Great Heights, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't believe it's that easy to get a free ipod. There's something else there that's gonna getcha, there has to be.

mopacfan, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    No it really is that easy. I've been watching my friend at work do it over the past week and he is now getting it.

What part don't you believe?

Well when I get my iPod I will let you all know if it's a real iPod or not. :)

Such Great Heights, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  4. Drakier

Drakier Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm currently waiting for shipment of mine. I have completed my offer and have had 5 of my referrals complete offers. I filled out my shipping information and it is now pending to be shipped.

We'll see soon if it actually ships. I'm 90% sure it will ship and I'll eventually get it. The question really is how long it is going to take.

And for anyone who has installed the ICFreePod program, if you installed the recent 0.0.6 version (before I posted this message) then I recommend re-downloading it and getting it again.

There was a small bug in the first release of 0.0.6 which caused it to spam the freeipods.com servers. I fixed it quickly and re-uploaded a new version.

and yes.. in case you haven't put 2 + 2 together, I'm the friend from work =]

-Drakier Dominaeus
    ~Ð~

Drakier, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  5. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Let us know if you get your iPod. ;)

TwisterMc, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely. I'm very skeptical of these kinds of marketing ploys and like the old addage: "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" (probably being the key word)

I remember an experiment where a person tried to sell $10 bills for $5. Almost noone 'bought' one because it sounded too good to be real even though it was for real.

mopacfan, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  7. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Wow now that does sound like a scam. Why would you sell $10 bills for $5? Just for an experiment? Sounds like a good one to me. :D

8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    It was an experiment just to see how people would react. Most people reacted as you would expect, with disbelief. Even when they were able to hold the $10 bill in their hand and see it was real, they could not bring themselves to believe that they could 'buy' it with only $5.

mopacfan, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  9. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    The company doing this free iPod giveaway is making money, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

They buy iPods in bulk, then make it mandatory if you want to receive your "free" iPod you need to sign up with an advertiser of theirs. (ie. credit card, AOL for broadband, free diet pill sample, some.com sign up, etc.).

The advertisers pay the company so much money per sign up, or maybe just to be included in the Free iPods offers and the company gets the profits.

Think about it, if I have to complete and offer, and 5 people under me have to complete an offer, then that is 6 sign ups for one iPod. These offers are by companies who pay the Free iPod company to be on their site in the offers section so the average joe has to sign up.

Chances are most people will complete an offer and try to get 5 people under them, but maybe only get 3-4, then the free iPod company doesn't have to giveaway an iPod at all, yet they still give the advertisers what they want. Sign ups.

It's almost like Google AdSense in the fact that Free iPods is the provider of content (iPods) and the advertisers pay to be on their pages for brand image and 1 out of 6 chance of a sign up per person. It's all advertising money that is paying for the iPods and paying the Free iPod company's salary.

right?

Such Great Heights, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  10. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as buying iPods in bulk. There is not enough markup there. ;)

11. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    See I told you so ... :p http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64614,00.html?tw=wn_2culthead

Straight from Wired News themselves.

"... surprisingly, the site appears to be legitimate. The program almost certainly isn't a dodgy pyramid scheme; it's a new form of online marketing supported by companies like eBay, AOL and Columbia House."

"Since the launch of FreeiPods.com in June, the site has dispatched more than 2,500 iPods, Martin said, worth more than $1 million."

So go ahead read the article, feel a little better, then sign up under me ... my referral link can be found at my personal site Nerd Dot Com. :D Please and Thank You.

Such Great Heights, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  12. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    How many have you gotten to sign up under you?

mopacfan, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  13. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Only 2 so far. But my page isn't that popular so .. eh.

14. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I see your an anarchist too... :)

Every seen any of Alex Jones' videos?

mopacfan, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  15. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I don't believe I ever said I was an anarchist, and nope I've never seen Alex Jones' videos.

Although I'd say I have some views that are unlike 98% of the US population.

Heck from what I hear there is a good, at least, 40% of the US who will vote for Bush again. So that rules out 40% right there. :)

16. Drakier

Drakier Peon

Best Answers:
    Uuhh.. I thought direct referral links weren't allowed?

Not to meantion.. if anyone should get the referrals, it should be the thread creator... Such Great Heights.. he is the one afterall that initiated this here.

Drakier, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  17. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah but the flatscreens you have to get 8 people under you.
    They raised it from 5, because they weren't making money off it.

So get in with the Free iPods now!
    The link above that says Free iPods goes to a page I made so you can learn more before you sign up, or if you had any questions. If there is something on that page that didn't answer one of your questions, ask it here. :)

18. Drakier

Drakier Peon

Best Answers:
    I REALLY hope the idiots that keep posting the Referral links are at LEAST using one of the other links as their referrals... if not, I'd be VERY upset.

Whats the use of spreading the knowledge and information, and expecting people to click your referral links, if you yourself aren't even signed up under someone. Its selfish, and ignorant. If you're going to sign up and post referral links all over the place, at least sign up UNDER someone who could use it.. it doesn't hurt you at all, but can CERTAINLY benefit someone else.

Think about it!

-Drakier Dominaeus
    ~Ð~

Drakier, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  19. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    It's cool Drakier.
    Shawn (DigitalPoint) is pretty darn good at upholding the rules and keeping everything fair. From what I see.

Now I kinda feel bad for creating this thread, just because it means it will attract random internet people, who don't know the rules.

But I want my Free iPod.

I was thinking of changing all my referral links on my free ipod info page to the first person who signs up under me and completes an offer. Of course only after 5 people under me complete an offer, and my account starts being processed for my free ipod. :) Then that person can email me when they have 5 under them, then I'll change it to the next person who signed up under me. etc. etc. Total conga train right?

So sign up under me, then link to my iPod info page and your link will be put there next. I just want everyone to be able to enjoy the free iPod-ness. :D

Such Great Heights, Aug 20, 2004 IP
  20. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    Apple makes money on their iPods, but remember all that money in bonuses and options they give to Jobs. I realize his salary is small, but I also remember them giving him something like $86 million in bonuses and options in one year. So, iPods must cost a fair amount, since they are making hardly squat on the iTunes songs that they sell.

Joel Naten, Aug 20, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.