1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Forum Hosting

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by BlueEew, Apr 12, 2007.

Hey. I am intrested in making a free phpBB forum hosting company in the future. As I have really good experience with phpBB.

I was intrested in the sebflipper software, however I discovered that the owner/developer is missing. I have also found this one at : http://www.phpbbmultiforums.com/

I would just like to know what "server" I would need to run and host many phpBB forums. I know it would definatly have to be a "Dedicated Server" however I would like to know all information about it.

If any knows any perfect plans for a server, post the links for me please. Also any feedback from the "Mulit Forums" software would be nice aswell.

Thanks,
    BlueEew.

BlueEew, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  2. technolarity

technolarity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shared Server is enough .

technolarity, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  3. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    your databases are pretty small, so you're just looking for something that's 1) scalable, and 2) provides a lot of bandwidth.

Agree with technolarity - start with a Shared server, should be more than enough to get started.

If you're starting REALLY small (even that's relative though), a basic $7.95 account with GoDaddy provides a ton of bandwidth and storage space, so if you're not sure, don't spend the big bucks until you know for certain you'll need the added computing power.

ThatForumPlace, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  4. BlueEew

BlueEew Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So a shared server would be enough to host a free phpBB forum providing software? You mean a VPS.

How many forums would it hold, and would all the forums run at a fast enough rate. I wouldn't want them going slow.

BlueEew, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  5. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    To give you a rough idea of size (based off of my most active forum):

60,000 post forum = approx 46MB Disk Space (GZip on) and 20,000MB Bandwidth/month

$7/month with GoDaddy will allow you EASILY 50 Forums (the plan gives you 50 MySQL databases and 100GB disk space, and 1,000,000MB bandwidth). Assuming all 50 forums at an equivalent size of the one above, you'd be using 2300MB (and thus 2.3% of your alloted disk space) and roughly hitting your 1,000,000MB bandwidth limit.

So if you're going for more than 50 60,000+ forums (or a single 3,000,000 post forum), upgrade, otherwise, give the less expensive account a try at first.

If my math is wrong on this, someone call me on it - I'm still a little new to this stuff.

ThatForumPlace, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  6. BlueEew

Best Answers:
    I am looking for a more bigger amount of forums, maybe to start with 500. Then I will upgrade to 1000 etc. I have made an hosting request thread also looking for hosting now.

Can you post your free forum hosting link, I would like to check it out. Also did you use GoDaddy?

BlueEew, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  7. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    the free forum hosting link is www.thatforumplace.com though I don't think it's quite suited for a quantity you're considering, but check it out anyway - I always welcome some feedback.

Given the quantity you ARE considering, have you looked into phpbbmultiforums.com ? Don't know too much about it yet, but it looks like it might be a great tool for you.

Yes, I'm currently using GoDaddy, and have used them for about 4 or 5 years now. Aside from having no 1-800 number, I find they're great for service, and about as competitive as it gets. The only thing I would not use them for is a dedicated gaming server. Also tried 1&1.com for a dedicated server (different business together) - if something goes wrong with them, good luck getting it resolved.

ThatForumPlace, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  8. wimpie

wimpie Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe nice to check here too:
    http://www.nbsdesignz.com/Multi-Forums_phpBB
    free, and phpBB 3 version is in progress.

wimpie, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  9. BlueEew

Best Answers:
    That script is free?

BlueEew, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  10. wimpie

wimpie Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, its free to use, only copyright removement is a small fee.

wimpie, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  11. BlueEew

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I got very intrested in the software. However the features thats are missing or are in development are avalible with the paid script. I need those features, so I will probably use the paid script.

BlueEew, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  12. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shared might be ok for a little while but after you got say ten people all with ten people online at once your gonna need to think about expanding.

ninjashoes, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  13. BlueEew

Best Answers:
    Its for more then one forum.

Also dose anyone know if you can restore databases onto the free hosted forums?

BlueEew, Apr 15, 2007 IP