1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Directory WITH Adverts.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by empservices, Mar 30, 2006.

Hi All,

Need some suggestions.

We have a completely free directory and plan to keep it like that. After it matures, I'm thinking of allowing the people listed to advertise on the directory pages.

Would people be willing to pay for ads in a directory? The reason I'm asking is, that if you are already listed in a directory, then why bother paying for ads.

I know you can get featured listings, but if the directory is small, featured listings are a bit pointless, or not?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

empservices, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  2. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Some form of advertising can work in directories. Premium listings are just this. However, in order to get advertising you need to demonstrate more foot traffic than just webmasters passing through to list in the relevant category. This might work better with a powerful niche directory. Perhaps one attached to a niche content site as opposed to a stand alone directory.

For instance, a site about health foods might have a directory about health foods and be able to use that editorial relationship to sell advertising in the directory based on the ability to drive interested viewers into the directory.

clancey, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  3. John D

John D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends how small it is.

If it is small with just a few listings in categories a lot of people wont want to pay for a featured listing, unless its very cheap.

How about building it up a bit first with free submissions then offer sponsored listings? You can email the people that have submitted their site then and offer featured listings.

John D, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  4. wwwbug

wwwbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Paid ads will get mpre traffic.as it is always on the top of list

wwwbug, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  5. TStewartFan

TStewartFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Some food for thought....why not "enhance" your featured members to allow them to be the ones to advertise throughout the directory?!? There are a lot of simple banner scripts you can incorporate into your directory with a little bit of work. Take a quick look at my work in progress and you can see how you can use Sponsored Listings over Affiliate listings.... Refresh the pages and you will see my 1 sponor move around....as I gain more sponsor then eventually it will truly be a random display but being a virgin directory....you got what you got....heh

www.kartkorner.com

TStewartFan, Apr 6, 2006 IP