1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Coop Advertising Network

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by digitalpoint, Jul 8, 2004.

1. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, just needed to hear it from someone else to re-assure myself :). BTW - the free ad network is an awesome idea, thanks for bringing it to the community!

l0cke, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  2. flash-seo

flash-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    What if I wanted to display more than one link? I of course realize that I could just call the php script say 5 times, but I'd like them to be all different?

flash-seo, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's something I've thought about, and haven't quite worked out some minor logistics on that yet. But it probably will be an option at some point.

digitalpoint, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    You could show three different ads right now couldn't you? A text only, a text banner and a full banner. Just modify the "http://ads.digitalpoint.com/network.php?type=link" string by changing the type=.

compar, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, it would still only show one (it would default to graphic or text banner).

6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to http://www.compar.com/infopool/articles/news2vs10.html. Look on the bottom of the page. There are some text links which include one of the network's and then below it is a banner ad. I didn't try and load the SSI a third time, bu I don't see why it wouldn't work???????

Check out the source code.

compar, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I can't check the source code because I don't have access to your server. But I 100% guarantee you are calling it twice on your end. There is absolutely no way two ads can be served with a single request to the ad server. And even if it was possible (which I again stress it's not), it would be rather difficult to insert one ad, then more of your HTML, then another ad after that. :)

Maybe you are using multiple methods on accident? (SSI and mod_rewrite for example)

8. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course I'm calling it twice. That what I meant when I said you could load it three time with a different "?type=" string in each call. How is that different than the question about running multiple ads on a single page?

BTW what is your connection with Western Union. I just had a bit of a bad experience with them.

compar, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oh yeah... well you shouldn't run multiple ads on one page... no real purpose. Plus it makes extra requests to the ad server. If you really want to do it, wait until I add a real function for it. :)

Re: Western Union... no real affiliation, other than I have a WU affiliate site (www.sendwu.com).

10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! We seem to be way off understanding each other on this issue. I don't want to run multiple ads.

You said in response to someone else's question that it could not be done. He talked about 5 different ads and I agree it can't be done under the present setup. But my point was that you can in fact run more than one ad now by calling the script more than once and modifying the "?type=" parameter.

I simply experiemented with it on one page to make sure I was correct. So:

1. I don't want to run multiple ads.

2. I never suggested it could be done with a single call of the script.

3. I showed that it could be done in exactly the way I asked you about in my first post on the issue. The one to which you reply "no it can't be done".

Hope that clears up the issue.

BTW I had a look at your Western Union Page. I have one suggestion. Why don't you center that page? It looks strange all over on the left hand side of a browser on a high resolution monitor.

compar, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  11. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    When I checked my account this morning I noticed that someone who had signed up using my affiliate ID was no longer listed in my account & I'm not rceiving a weight bonus for them. I checked their forum and the ads are still in place and being displayed.

Any ideas?

GuyFromChicago, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Probably will want to ask them. They changed their URL to something that was not the base of their forum, and never validated it (or they may have but it would have never passed validation). So it took them out of the rotation. I changed it back and validated it for them, but you may want to ask them still why they changed it.

digitalpoint, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  13. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    He indicated he didn't change anything, guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

GuyFromChicago, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to ditto Shawn's comments, it all depends what is there when googlebot shows up and spiders the page. And while you might "miss" one time, the law of averages says you will get "some" hits ... and an interesting theory might be if googlebot sees a link, say 10 times in a 30-day period (assume daily crawls), does it "assume" that is really is there for purposes of back link/SERP calculations - if so, maybe triple back links!

As I've mentioned in private Shawn, this whole idea/concept is brilliant, and even though I don't run a blog/forum/PHP, I'm still considering using it via server-side-includes.

alek

hulkster, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  15. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    This looks fairly simple for "other" sites - as implied in Shawn's notes, it's simply a matter of using a Server Side Includes - for those that are interested - take a look at:
    http://www.komar.org/dptest/
    which describes what is on the page (since with SSI's, you never see the "behind the scenes magic" - only the resulting HTML - try doing a view source!)

I haven't quite decided how I want to use these, but I'm unclear how I can "validate" across all sub-URL's of www.komar.org (not sure I want to display the top page) ... and I might be interested in running on another site - do I have to seperately validate each sub-URL and each domain ... and ideally, I'd like to have ALL impressions contribute to my "score" ... ala Adsense.

I suspect Shawn is tracking by domain (since I can't figure out how else he would be doing it) so my guess is no on the multiple domains, but maybe he can "bless" anything that shows up under www.komar.org and then I can just go to town on that - plus it looks like you have to manually activiate/validate my account anyway.

Thanx,
    alek

P.S. I'm a little confused about setting the background color - you said in post #41 that you can set the background color, but you then say the site displaying the ads sets it. On the setup page, it shows me the HTML, but I can't seem to modify the color from #000000 (?)

hulkster, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The option isn't available for text links because they don't have a background. :)

digitalpoint, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  17. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    But is it available for text banners?

compar, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes it is...

digitalpoint, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  19. piniyini

piniyini Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's just something I would like to clarify...

If a site owner displays the banner ad then he has more "weight" than someone who displays the text link and description ad and they have more weight than someone who only displays the text link ad, am I correct?

If so, good stuff and excellent program.

And now going slightly off topic, are you a professional php coder, I cant tell because you only refer to "coder".

Good stuff

piniyini, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Currently the weighting formula does not differentiate between text ads or banner ads.

As far as my profession, I am a professional coder (that's what I do for a living), but it's not specific to just PHP. :)

digitalpoint, Jul 11, 2004 IP