1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free and predefined themes VS. Design your own Wordpress template

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Esther Fdz, Nov 22, 2018.

Good to all, I created this thread on a video that I saw very interesting, which has made me think a lot about the subject of web design. What is better a predetermined template or a unique and personal theme? I would like you to comment if you have any design preference, or if you have another idea to make designs.

Everything depends on the money, time and knowledge that we have. I think the best thing is to adapt to the moment and the need of each situation. The default templates have attractive designs and totally responsive, saving us a lot of time and effort. It is also true that many of these models are used by many people, so our design will not be unique. To create a personalized theme we have to have time and knowledge, we will also have to do our responsive format.

These are one of the reasons, that I find why to discuss this topic. For me, the intermediate idea is to build a theme based on a predefined template. Thus we can realize 100% responsive and personalized themes. Can you think of any more?

¿Qué plataforma utilizáis: WordPress, blogger, etc? ¿Para crear vuestros diseños utilizáis algún editor visual o editáis con código?

Esther Fdz, Nov 22, 2018 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Most websites don't rely on the theme to be unique - their content and images do that for them.
    Off the shelf usually have bloat that you'd avoid if you coded your own - the downside of their enormous flexibility. Most of us don't have the "eye" to design well AND the programming skills to build well AND the time to update templates for every little backend change in the CMS of choice.

sarahk, Nov 22, 2018 IP
  3. VegasHero

VegasHero Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like to use a pre-defined theme and/or build on a demo import of a specific theme. It gives a good canvas.
    Then adding content and using a child theme I customize it enough to make it unique enough from the default look.

It's not about how it looks, it's about what you presenting and the quality of your content.

VegasHero, Nov 23, 2018 IP
  4. marakillton

marakillton Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess that it's a really good way for cheap site creation. Usually, I download some free website builder (like Mobirise).
    In there I'm looking for free themes. In bootstrap theme generator Mobirise I choose one of the free themes and change it in the way I want.
    In any site builder, you can change some elements (color, images, backgrounds, fonts). After that, I publish the project to my PC. In there I can change
    the code in the way I want. I can totally change the structure of one block or of the whole site. As in the app, you can choose only restricted options for the landing-page creation.
    Didn't try other apps but bootstrap builder Mobirise suits my goals completely.

marakillton, Mar 12, 2019 IP
  5. jayroberts

jayroberts Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends. I generally prefer to know the type of site I want to build, who will use it, the objective of the site and the industry it's in among other key features to determine the design. It's not a one shoe fits all kind of thing. Even the most minute change in these can cause the site to be designed differently

jayroberts, Jun 4, 2019 IP