1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Frames

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by david_sakh, Sep 8, 2004.

Does anyone know if it's advisable to use frames on a website not necessarily targetted towards techno-freaks? I would like to include some but I hear they are not supported on all browsers. How much of a risk am I running by doing this - how much of my customer base would I be alienating? :confused:

david_sakh, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  2. Jackobo007

Jackobo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Instead of frames use <!--#include file=yourfile.asp-->

Jackobo007, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  3. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    what?

I'm really sure it doesn't work at all on some browsers, no matter how you try and get around it...

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It will work because it's a server-side include. For SEO purposes, it's probably a good idea to stay away from frames, but if you don't care about that part of it, then it's fine.

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  5. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    this may sound stupid (bear in mind im an ametuer) but what do search engines have against frames? I'm not sure why incorporating them into a website would affect SOE...:unsure:

6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Because the actual content of the page isn't there, it's within a different page (the one the frame is built with).

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  7. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    since years all fear about frames and SE
    i converted my site 1998 into frames site and never had any problems with SEs - its all a question of understanding SE (or better bots ) and HOW to submit frames sites.

for example:

left frame
    main frame with content (right)
    and may be top frame ..

each of the pages has regular links

with the left frame and top frame having
    <base target="main">
    "main" being the frame name as defined in the ONE frameset file you have for each folder ...

all left page ( frame ) links look like

<a href="freedom.htm">Freedom</a>

hence a regular link ANY and every SE understands
    this link links to a page in the same folder.

same on top frame

the key to SEO is how you submit

of course you submit never the frameset file to SE !!
    but the
    - left
    - main
    - top - pages
    ALL having regular direct links to various pages

EVERY bot can follow every such link from any of the a.m. 3 sample files - up to web designer to assure you have links on each page leading to several other pages + home + plus sub-portal + frameset ( or solve the problem with javascript if page ibelongs into frameset but is called as single page ..
    such as

<Script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    if (top == self) self.location.href = "frames_index.html";
    // -->
    </script>

since the left frame contains links to ALL pages in same folder and beyond - it is one possibility to call that page
    index.html in each folder
    OR the first "main" page - that you could use/design as a sub-portal page with links ( contents page ) and brief introduction to ALL pages in same folder.

any of the 2 a.m. methods gives you 1 page called index.html
    wihich will be found by those SE who want a URL with trailing /
    to get the index page even of subfolders ...
    that is the page you submit to those SE who allow only a few pages per domain to be submitted - its the entrance to a major subsection of your domain linking to all pages and folders above and below as well.
    never submit frameset pages - they lack content and hence are poorly crawled and sometimes not at all depending on bot.

then such single main page for example would be embedded into the correct full fraemset if called top instead of frameset.

in the VERY beginning (1998) i had some problems with bots because i had wrong system and failed to understand.
    how to proof if SEO friendly ?
    if almost all ( about 90+%) pages are indexed by major SE then you have proof that bots can follow all links to find all pages you want them to find.

talking about bots and SEO
    there are FAR more problems with varisu bots and JavaScript links AND with php links having ? in URL than frame pages ...

and browsers of THIS millenium can as far as i know ALL handle frames - that story of browsers NOT being able to show frames has its roots in LAST millenium !!! may be IE and NS 2 or 3 or so ... internet stoneage browser

even LYNX can handle framesets - i just tested NOW because i never use lynx for surfing
    lynx is simple browser that does and sees pretty much exactly waht a bot does
    text and tags and clean a href links and its a good test for bot compatibility regarding links
    test once

lynx http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=29150#post29150
    or
    lynx http://www.kriyayoga.com/english/frames_index.html
    and you see
    both sites are SEO conform regarding all kind of links and finding all pages and reaching TO all pages of the entire domain
    THATS is the key in link-SEO frame AND non-frame
    from every page you must find the remainder of entire domain !

frame or non-frame - its only a question what you like ...
    having the full content ( navigation bar ) on the left in a table on each page as in so many sites also is possible
    but rduces relevancy of SE ( adsense for example ) as you carry on many keywords onto every page - thus "deluting" the actual content of each page. also it makes each page considerably larger and hence slower to load as compared to frame set where you load only the main - content page and the content page is new and fresh and different form all other pages and thus indexed more accurately as with all links on each page in a table on the left.

hans, Sep 8, 2004 IP
    david_sakh likes this.
  8. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    wow that's a lot of information to digest - I'll have to review it carefully...

thanks very much.

9. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dont use frames...these r harmful for SEO

letsjoy, Jun 15, 2006 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  10. kirby009

kirby009 Peon

Best Answers:
    If your vistors like your frams it shoudn't matter. i don't think it will effect the se , as for the other thing op's these day got it all caculated. for that use.

kirby009, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  11. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Is not harmful, it's matter to know how to develop a framed site.

If you optimize your pages adding meta tags, content and links between the <noframes></noframes> or <iframe></iframe> there is nothing to care about.

As kirby says, if your visitors liket them and you find them handy frames are not problem.

Many of the biggest and well ranked site on the net use frames, i.e. Microsoft

Pat Gael, Sep 7, 2006 IP