1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Found An Article On How To Get Listed Within Weeks! Does This Really Work?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jvfconsulting, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have failed to get my site listed in DMOZ for over a year now, and I'm really frustrated. I've submitted 4 different times with different versions of descriptions but still nothing. I came across this article on how to get listed within 2 weeks. Will this technique work, is any of this true?
    http://www.millservices.co.uk/dmoz.html

jvfconsulting, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are a number of outdated articles available about how to get into DMOZ available at- you guessed it - DMOZ.

CReed, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  3. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    No, none of that is true, you can only get into dmoz if an editor wants to list you.

You should not be frustrated by not being listed at dmoz, most websites are not, and it offers no special value so webmasters who are up on the latest news no longer care about a dmoz listing.

winifred gray, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  4. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not listen and believe what real editors tell you here? There is no pie in the sky, no tricks, no shortcuts to get ahead of everyone else. You wait, just like everyone else waits. :)

To choose a correct category (not the one you want to be in, but the one we will put you in), read the category description up in the right hand corner of the category page. It will tell you the type of sites that will and will not be accepted there, and perhaps give you some other suggestions about placement.

Sites in the Directory are organized by category. Those categories are created when a number of similar sites start piling up. The categories are well thought out to fit in with all other existing categories, so sites are placed in specific categories, for specific reasons.

Do not submit multiple times. Submit once to the best category you can find. The editor will move the site to the correct category if neccessary, but it saves us and you a lot of time if you can get close to the correct category.

For writing the Title and Description, forget keywords and follow this:
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/describing.html

Not doing so will further delay your listing (if we want your site, which we might not).

Here are some of the sites we don't want:
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/include.html#notinclude

If your site is one of these, kiss it goodbye.

There are no secrets. The Guidelines we edit by are right here:
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/

They are pretty clear cut, no mystery to them.

Forget search engines, they have no influence over the Directory, and we don't cater to them. Pay attention to what we want, if you want to get listed because that's all that matters to us.

Take your PR and strategies and discuss them with the search engines, it has nothing to do with the Directory or its editing community, it's a non-issue with us. :D

A site may be listed the next day or several years from now, so stop getting yourself worked up about it. If your site/business is that dependant on a Directory listing, you really need to go to a business college and get educated, or start a real business.

I have a real business, and I found a website to be nothing more than one more advertising tool and one of the least effective at that. If you have a real product or service to offer, something concrete, then you should have no reason to panic over a listing in some Directory.

On the other hand, if your business consists of taking something someone else produces, taking a chunk of money out of it, and passing the cost onto the unsuspecting customer, or acting as an ethernet salesman for a real company, then you'd have a problem. (one that I have no sympathy for, get a job). :D

crowbar, Aug 31, 2008 IP
    livingearth likes this.
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL

I could come up with several very good reasons not to listen to many of the editors here, but would likely be banned like many of them have been, or would need to resort to lying or hiding behind false names *pokes nebby*

For instance, it's a good idea to listed when an editor says to NOT follow the guidelines? Or that when someone points to RZ as a resource and an editor pops in to say that such a site is NOT official and should not be used as a resource.

Yeah, yeah, way to go editors! The ONLY source for DMOZ is DMOZ, anything else is in question... sadly, information at DMOZ is very very very outdated (to the point of sounding like lies in many cases) so where is one to really turn... the ODP Blog? Not likely, not much more then horn tooting there.

As sad as it is, the BEST source of ODP information is actually from EX-editors (yourself included in most cases).

In the end though, there is only one thing that everyone seems to agree on, and that's SUBMIT & FORGET.

Qryztufre, Sep 1, 2008 IP
    livingearth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.