1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Forward with Masking" or "Forward Only"

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jefftd77, Sep 12, 2009.

Hello,

I have about 10 domain names that I want to point to my main website. I don't want to forward them incorrectly and have the search engines see duplicate content and penalize me....so.....should I "Forward with Masking" or "Forward without masking"? I am doing them as 'permanent redirects' but just not sure if I should mask them.

Thanks,

Jeff

jefftd77, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  2. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do not use domain forwarding. This typically means you hosting company is going to iframe your main "target" site at the old "forwarded" domains. In other words, they will simply display the target site in a frame within the old site's home page. This does NOT help you from an SEO perspective.

You want to install 301 Permanently Moved redirects on the old sites. If you don't 301 redirect the old sites' URLs over to the target site then the target site will NOT get credit for inbound links (and associated link text) pointing to the old site. Ideally you will want to redirect on a URL-by-URL basis, not simply pointing ALL requests for URLs at the old site to the new targeted domain's home page. Ideally, you want to 301 redirect requests for each old URL to the URL on the new target domain whose content most closely resembles the content found at the old URL.

Canonical, Sep 12, 2009 IP