1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Forum Spam

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by mmbus, Sep 13, 2012.

Argh! I'm tired of having to delete ten new accounts off of my forum everyday because they are spammers. I already set it up so that I have to approve them before they can post, but now it's hard to distinguish between real people and spammers. Is there a better way to prevent spammers and bots from joining my forum without me being involved so much? I'm using phpBB version 3.0.10.

mmbus, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  2. abusschaert

abusschaert Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi mmbus:

I use SMF and i know there is a few mods for it to prevent spammers but i don't use them. If your a new forum I would suggest finding a mod like those if phpbb has them. Otherwise keep up what your doing.

If your forum is active, make restrictions like the ones here (wait 7 days...) Personally i like warrior forums approach - you need a certain amount of posts before you can create a thread. If your unaware of how you can do that just make a member group with permissions to post but not to create new threads. After say 5 posts they upgrade to (member group name) with all the permissions.

I hope this helps - good luck

abusschaert, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  3. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You need a spam registrations prevention mod/add on to be installed in your forum. Since I am not using phpBB I don't know that there is such a mod/add on for phpBB. But there are such mods/add ons for premium forum scripts

dumindushalika, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  4. mmbus

mmbus Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I didn't think of limiting thread creation. I think I'll try that tactic and see if it works.

mmbus, Sep 25, 2012 IP
  5. Privateer

Privateer Peon

Best Answers:
    Privateer, Sep 30, 2012 IP
  6. Lawrence Wright

Lawrence Wright Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's some advice.

- Use Key Captcha

I've tried it, and my forum hasn't seen spam for over a year. Granted, it's not a popular forum, it's these types of forums that attract spam.

- Not one spam registration
    - Not one spam post
    - Many, many..... MANY spam registration attempts.

Lawrence Wright, Sep 30, 2012 IP