1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Forum Link Building tips (it's not just your signiture!)

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Qryztufre, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And watch for new pages to appear. Be the first poster in them and chances are you'll get the first out going links ;)

Yes, that is certainly the point I am trying to get across ;) Work with the system, don't work the system... or something like that *smirk*

People first!

Qryztufre, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  2. 1080Tech

1080Tech Guest

Best Answers:
    Very useful. Thanks alot! Will rep :p

1080Tech, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  3. emigre

emigre Peon

Best Answers:
    wow this thread is almost a year old but still getting replies...shows that good information is timeless. Thanks for sharing.

emigre, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  4. warley

warley Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent advice made me smile also.

warley, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  5. CSSDevMonkey

CSSDevMonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    There was a blog post several months back, where Loren Baker emailed the top guys of Google, Yahoo, and Ask.com, asking them several questions about how they treat the No Follow link attribute. Come to find out, Google claims they do not index pages at the other end of a nofollowed link, while both Yahoo and Ask.com do index the pages at the other end of a nofollowed link. Google and Yahod also claims that trust/attribution is not passed to the site with the nofollowed link.

Though, recently I checked my links for Yahoo, and it had indeed given attribution to the site where I posted a link to my site in a comment of a blog that adds nofollow to the links in comments.

Now, Ask.com, said that they have never officially supported nofollow property, and does indeed index and give attribution to all nofollow links.

That is basically how I understood the post, but you can read it for yourself and come up with your own interpretation. Here is the link: How Google, Yahoo & Ask.com Treat the No Follow Link Attribute

CSSDevMonkey, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  6. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes nice post, will try it out as soon as my site becomes more indexed as i don't want the forums to overtake my own site in ther serps if people search for my site!!

wd_2k6, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Have your main index point to the forums with a link, and then the forums point to the main index. Then start building your forum content...

One good way to build your own content is to write articles then add discussion links from the article to an applicable thread. That'll point your forums to the main page through the articles and help promote your forums by pointing back at them.

Your articles are also a nice method of getting links on other forums. You can start discussions about them on other forums by quoting partial text and then linking to the article for more of the story. This SHOULD be allowed (at least on a limited basis) by most forums, as quoting the whole story is a copyright violation, where as giving a good snippet falls under fair use.

Now, if the bottom of the article has a link for comments/discussion for your own forum, that can drive your forum traffic up considerably!

Though note, this only works a few times on other forums, as the more you point to one site the more people are going to realize you are following my advice ;)

Qryztufre, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  8. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Great thread/post Qryztufre. You mentioned some very valid points in your post. I for one don't like the two word posters.

Ex:

Good Post.
    Nice one.
    Congrats. (That isn't even two words) :mad:

There are a lot more like that, but you get the idea. I consider that to be spam.

What people should do is this:

Good Post. [ask a question relevant to the original post]

Good post. [provide your own tips or opinion based on the original post]

Even if what you ask or provide a tip on is complete BS... it will at the very least provide valuable content to the thread being posted on. :cool:

jjpmarketing, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  9. htnmedia

htnmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice, Thanks for information and great list.

htnmedia, Apr 10, 2008 IP
  10. Ideastone

Ideastone Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the bottom line is to become a part of a community and let the social aspects be the REAL marketing that you are doing. If you go into a forum just looking to drop links, then you will fail. If you go to a forum looking to participate in a community, you will find more long-term success. Also, you can't control if Google is going to count the links or not, but you might still get some significant, targeted traffic from the community itself which is the whole point of online marketing right?

Ideastone, Apr 10, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  11. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    Great tips, I have used signature marketing to really jump start my websites and get them some quality relevant links

primeelite, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    heh, the entire first post in a nice little nutshell. Thanks for posting, as what you said certainly stands true, at least in my worldview.

That is also a VERY good point, and one that I did not really get at on the first post. It's important for many marketers out there to know and understand that online marketing is more then just a bunch of links... the 'salesperson' (as that is what you'd be) NEEDS to sell the site, not just link too it. One of the best ways to do sell a site is to cause genuine interest in it.

Qryztufre, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  13. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice tricks. Does the multiple forums increase the chances for google or the other engines to crawl your site over just posting allot on one or two forums?

Thanks for the info

ErikJ, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Most active forums get crawled all the time. Doing it here on DP will get your links looked at by bots in minutes! Posting across multiple forums has the added perks of your links coming from multiple IP addresses, which is always good. It also has the bonus of getting a broader human exposure.

Though keep in mind this is NOT a trick! It's common sense.

Putting community first not only helps you and your site, it makes the internet a better place to be for all people (webmaster and surfer). And I'm not just talking YOUR community, I'm talking about the communities you are posting too.

Qryztufre, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  15. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Now one thing I look at, is to see if other members sigs can be seen if your not signed on, then I look to see if its a redirect, if all this passes the test then I join. since these forums will be in my niche, I can post links to articles on my site. I agree that joining the community to meet others always helps. spamming will just get your links removed and you banned,

Caesar1, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Guests seeing the sig is important, though as for it being a redirect or nofollow, that is a matter of opinion... a popular forum with nofollow sigs can still generate some pretty good traffic provided the posts are top notch and the sig link is related. In fact, sites that redirect or have nofollow often allow a bit more spam, lol.

Qryztufre, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  17. kristasjewelry

kristasjewelry Peon

Best Answers:
    is there any good directories for finding related forums in your niche?

kristasjewelry, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  18. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How is this not just signiture links?

siflur, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  19. svetomir

svetomir Peon

Best Answers:
    TY Qryztufre. That was very inspiring advice. I am rolling

svetomir, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  20. conorod

conorod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Qryztufre, this is very useful advice.

conorod, Dec 20, 2008 IP