1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Form calculation before submit

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by karl_murphy, Jul 16, 2014.

Hi,

I am writing a script that will allow a user to update the details of a recipe. I have got as far as getting all of the ingredients for the recipe and printing them out into editible form fields. I want the user to be abled to amend the "grammes" field and by doing so automatically updating the ounces field, which is disabled. I want this calculation to be done prior to the user submitting the form.

If a user entered '500' into the grammes field for one of the ingredients the ounces field for this row should automatically change to '20' (500 x 0.04) when the user tabs away from.

Please see my PHP code below for printing out the ingredients:

Thanks in advance!

echo "<table>";

while($get_ingredients->fetch())
    {
    echo "<tr>";

echo "<td><input type = 'text' class = 'form-control' id = 'ingredient_name' name = 'ingredient_name' value = '$ingredient_name' ></td>";

echo "<td><input type = 'text' class = 'form-control' id = 'grammes' name = 'grammes' value = '$grammes' ></td>";

echo "<td><input type = 'text' class = 'form-control' id = 'ounces' name = 'ounces' disabled ></td>";

echo "<td><input type = 'text' class = 'form-control' id = 'other_amount' name = 'other_amount' value = '$other_amount' ></td>";

echo "<td><input type = 'text' class = 'form-control' id = 'other_unit' name = 'other_unit' value = '$other_unit' ></td>";

echo "</tr>";
    }

echo "</table>";

karl_murphy, Jul 16, 2014 IP
  2. greatlogix

greatlogix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't set "ounces" text box disabled. You will not get disabled form field value via form submit. Make it read only. Replace disabled with readonly

<input type = 'text' class = 'form-control' id = 'grammes' name = 'grammes' value = '$grammes'  onBlur="set_ounces(this.value)">
    <script>
    function set_ounces(grms){
     document.form_name.ounces.value = 0.04 * parseInt(grms); // form_name: replace it with form name
    }
    </script>
    Code (markup):
    I have not tested the script but you can get basic idea how to do it

greatlogix, Jul 17, 2014 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Mind you -- it's ok to calculate it client side to show it to the user, but you SHOULD NOT EVER trust a javascript calculation as a value in PHP. Sending that value server-side? Don't EVEN TRY. Hell, I wouldn't even make it an INPUT tag! ...well, unless it was made to go bi-directional on the conversion.

Recalculate it server side so 1) it works when scripting isn't present, 2) people can't bullshit it.

Remember the unwritten rule of JavaScript -- if you can't make the page function without JavaScript FIRST, you likely have no business adding scripting to it.

Of course, if every tag inside a parent -- like say... TR -- is getting the same class -- like say... form-control, NONE of them need classes. Might also helped if you stopped using multiple echo to do the job of one, had a complete table structure, etc, etc...

Though since you're got a while and a fetch, I'm wondering how you'd have it even work since you'd have the same ID more than once on the page. Also since it's a form (I'd assume) multiple elements with the same NAME would also be... problematic.

deathshadow, Jul 17, 2014 IP