1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Forecasting advertising revenues for a website

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Lotfus, Nov 17, 2013.

Hello all,

I am thinking of creating a website with some content. A primary option for the revenue model would be based solely on advertising. Something like a news website.

After reading a bit about this type of revenue model, I understood it is not straightforward to estimate. Nevertheless, I would like to have some idea to be able to have a rough idea what elements are determinant for the revenue.

Based on what I have read, I tried to build a model, by fixing some parameters and giving the target revenue, we would have the required traffic.

It would be great to have a feedback regarding this model. What did I miss, what is not reasonable, what else could I consider, etc. Let's suppose for the moment that is just based on RPM.

Parameters that determine a website revenue:
    - Number of slots per page: how many ads I put on every page
    - RPM for on advertisement: what an advertiser would pay me every time one of his ads has been viewed 1000 times (whatever if it is seen twice by the same visitor). I know that this RPM can vary depending on factors like the type of content, how much we have a targeted audience, etc...
    - visit: any page impression, whatever if it is a visit from the same visitor
    Estimating traffic required for a target revenue

Revenue = visits * RPM * Number of slots per page
    =>
    Visits = Revenue / Number of slots per page * RPM

If we take an example:
    - let's say I want to achieve 5000$ revenue
    - I have 2 slots per page
    - the RPM is 1.5$

Traffic required = 5000 / (2*(1.5/1000)) = 1'666'666 visits.

What about these parameters?

I am wondering if these parameters have any influence on the revenue model?
    - Number of page views per visit: the number of pages a visitor visits while navigating the website.
    - Percentage of inventory filled: the percentage of ads slots that I sold, i.e. the percentage of slots that are used by advertisers.
    - Number of pages in the website: or the number of articles that I have on my website

I would be very grateful if I have any feedback on this model.

Best

Lotfus, Nov 17, 2013 IP