1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

For all Publishers: New: Interest-based advertising

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Cagliostro, Mar 12, 2009.

1. greatme

greatme Active Member

Best Answers:
    What if i opt out this. do i still need to change my Privacy policy ? or what can we do if we are running Adsense on Blogger blog's How can we add privacy policy on them ?

greatme, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  2. Cagliostro

Cagliostro Active Member

Best Answers:
    But people running tight niches, will notice. Fast.

I just hope we are misunderstanding something and that change will not affect us.

Because some of us have worked really hard for a well paying niche. It will be a shame to see our revenue drop.

Cagliostro, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  3. ched

ched Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been having a thing about this change from Google and come to couple of conclusions.
    1. Google makes money from ads when people click on them. So I cant see Google implementing a system that will discourage people from clicking on ads because the ads are not relevant to the site they are viewing. I have a feeling this is a bit more complex than it first appears. They talk about 'categories' so I wonder if they are doing some sort of demographic profiling. Like this person looks at lots of sport sites so therefore they are probably male and in the 15-40 years old category. Then using this info to target ads on sites they visit to the 15-40 year old male category, ie the visitor looks at a site selling old books and google show ads relating to old 'sports' books?

So to me even niche sites may benefit from higher click rates as the ads are more relevant to the niche and the visitor!

2. My second conclusion doesn't really complement the first but here goes.
    It could be that google want to make it impossible to filter ads as you cant see what ads other people see on your site. So this also means that you have no way of comparing revenue on a daily basis as the ads may be different! So google could make a higher percentage per click.

Hopefully its No1 as we should all make more money per click and the advertisers would also convert more clicks to sales as the ads would be better targeted at the customer.

ched, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  4. Cagliostro

Cagliostro Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Ched:

We don't know how this works for sure.

An other thought i have is that Google will show to the visitors the very same ads, whatever website they visit. And that will lead the visitors to slowly become ad-blind and ignore them.

And you are right! We will not know anymore what ads are displayed to the visitors, it will be impossible to filter anything.

Cagliostro, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  5. jones1982

jones1982 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! I want to know about blogger :confused:

jones1982, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  6. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes, even bloggers need a privacy policy, any adsense publisher. If you have a blogger blog, create a post with a title of privacy policy, and give it an old date such as the day you started your blog. Then go to layout...click add gadget...select link list. In title box type in "privacy policy" and in next box put url of your privacy policy page. A link to your privacy policy page should show somewhere on homepage, for example, at the very bottom.

Edit: I just wanted to add, for people that want to opt out...I don't think you can opt out as a publisher, only as an individual.

Rebecca, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  7. JulieV

JulieV Guest

Best Answers:
    We are going to know what the users are using or are getting into every time they open up their computers or go on the internet and google something. What I would really like to understand is the privacy policy is going to be. Does anyone have any idea on what to write and or add onto the privacy policy?

Thanks
    JulieV

JulieV, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  8. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Add this...

Google, as a third-party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on this site.
    Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to our users based on their visit to our sites and other sites on the Internet. Users may opt out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy.

:)

Rebecca, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  9. jones1982

jones1982 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can I turn off this 'interest-based advertising' for my website?

jones1982, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  10. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can opt out of it. But I don't think you can opt out for one site and opt in for another...

It's either your entire account and all your sites or none at all.

Reviewz, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  11. jones1982

jones1982 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is it mandatory to keep this option on?? if the answer is 'no' then how to opt out this option? tell me details...

Thanks.

jones1982, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  12. adleym

adleym Peon

Best Answers:
    You're supposed to be able to find it on your "account settings" tab, although I personally see nothing on that page. Anyone know what's up?

adleym, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  13. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    Look a bit further...it's there under My Account and it's the second one from the bottom. You can turn off the display of such ads on all of your sites. You cannot opt just certain sites out, but you can at least turn off the display of interest-based ads on your sites.

Adpubster, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  14. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That would likely be a mistake...

Google is looking to increase revenues for themselves, advertisers and publishers with Behavior Targeting.

Makes perfect sense to me......;)

Sem-Advance, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  15. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm remaining skeptical at the moment for a number of reasons and have opted out. I may turn it back on in the future but I can see quite a hodge-podge of ads showing up that the visitor may not find relevant either at all or at the moment. The former because multiple people in a family may use the same computer, and the latter because a person interested in X at the moment may not care at all about Y at the moment even if it has be identified as an "interest"

16. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well that is probably premature at best given they have just started...turning it on later will simply delay in Google being able to develop the behavior of your visitors.

Also in this day and age where people are connected via PC, Laptops, Wireless devices, there is quite a bit of singularity in the person connecting to your site.

Also behavioral targeting goes beyond the platform and delves further into prior history, the current site being visited, etc.

Additionally how a site is optimized and the content within will have some affect on ads that are displayed...

:)

Sem-Advance, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  17. damen

damen Peon

Best Answers:
    Why does everyone seem to think Google is stupid?
    They've got the most profitable internet advertising business in the world because they know how to do advertising. They're REALLY good at this. Google wouldnt be implementing this if they thought it wouldnt generate more clicks. More clicks = more $$$ for them AND for us.

Personally, I'm going to go ahead and trust that the people are Google arent as retarded as you all seem to think they are.

damen, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  18. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    For me at least, it's beyond revenue, it's user experience, and there are potential trade-offs. Prior history for most people IS going to be restricted to the platform, far from everyone has google accounts...yet :)

I don't really think this would be the case...Google is going to profile people regardless of whether or not I serve interest-based ads. When/If I turn them on, there should be no real delay at all that I could see.

19. jones1982

jones1982 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why Google gave us a deadline? If I don't take any action within this day (as like update site's privacy polices) then will they take any action against me?

jones1982, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  20. Web.Manual.Pilot

Web.Manual.Pilot Peon

Best Answers:
    the case is more simple than all that! google only want you to let your visitor know that they are tracking his behavior with surfing the web lol! and if I cant accept this as a normal visitor not as a publisher?? where I can escape to?? lol the web is full of google`s cookies!! everywhere!! :D

Web.Manual.Pilot, Mar 18, 2009 IP