1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Followed Coop Link to Dodgy Page

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by dct, Jan 26, 2005.

1. wizteen

wizteen Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I have checked the problem on 3 windows machines and can not get this stuff to automatically install. I get a prompt asking me everything, but I am not sure since I am running SP2 on all 3 of those machines. I am thinking this problem is related to not having SP2 or some other issue. I have removed this campaign from my site and have emailed the company I was running it for to investigate because if they are doing what you are saying, it is dead wrong and totally against everything I stand for. Is there anyway you could unban my sites as I have fixed the problem?

Thanks, Kyle

wizteen, Jan 30, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nothing wrong with ActiveX... as long as it doesn't go and do things without the user's permission (like installing things).

digitalpoint, Jan 30, 2005 IP
  3. wizteen

wizteen Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya I am sorry I did not know it was doing this. As you can see I quickly removed it from my site. Is there anyway I can get my accounts unbanned? :confused:

wizteen, Jan 30, 2005 IP
  4. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    How would you *not know* it was doing that?

schlottke, Jan 30, 2005 IP
  5. wizteen

wizteen Peon

Best Answers:
    Because I went there like several people did and got nothing... I just got a simple active x popup. I was totally unaware it was automatically installing stuff...

wizteen, Jan 30, 2005 IP
  6. WabbyTwax

WabbyTwax Peon

Best Answers:
    I referred wizteen to this coop ad network. I feel kind of bad that he's been singled out like this because of one rogue complaint. Yes I think his activex ads are really annoying but I've even used them myself in the past. Still its none of our business how other sites decide to advertise.. the point is he still gets tons of traffic no matter what. He is not doing anything "fishy" I've known him a long time and I know his sites very well and visit them often and I've seen nothing out of the ordinary.

The reason he said he was unaware of what you were seeing is because he probably uses a different version of a browser plus these adware companies change the content and how its loaded without telling webmasters. Its loaded remotely from the adware provider's server. If you have a personal issue with this guy don't blast him on thread please send him a private message. He is providing this coop network with 1 million impressions a day on average (Not Exaggerating) with 5 links showing on each. Thats 5 million impressions that ARE being picked up by search engines because search engines ignore the adware .js files.

Also, even though he's providing this network this much coverage he's only operating with an average weight of about 20,000.

My referral weight from him is not important to me so please to prove that theres no hidden agenda here if you do decide to allow him on the network remove my referral weight for his account. The account i have him referred from is "wabbytwax2".

And in case anyone is wondering I am also generating an average of 1 million impressions per day of 5 links per impression across my network of sites. I hope that helps give me a little bit of a voice if it matters.

- John

WabbyTwax, Jan 30, 2005 IP
  7. wizteen

wizteen Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to make public some of my stats to prove that I am being open and honest here...

http://extremetracking.com/open;sum?login=msndollz

http://extremetracking.com/open;sum?login=iconfun1

Close to 100,000 unique hits yesturday combined.

This really was very unexpected and I am not out to piss anyone off I was just taking some advice from my friend John to try this coop stuff out. I would have gladly checked out this problem and fixed it, as I was unaware of it. :confused:

Thanks, Kyle

wizteen, Jan 30, 2005 IP
  8. buyoffit

buyoffit Peon

Best Answers:
    You must of known that thats what they do, and thats what all that stuff does, is install crap on peoples machines, I spend countless hours fixing peoples machines because of sites like yours.

And those icons etc all most likely have spyware or additional crap that installs on peoples machines.

"Zango, a small desktop application, is your free pass to premium online entertainment, games and downloads. In exchange, you are shown an average of two to three sponsor websites daily when you shop or search online. * Zango does not collect or retain any personally identifiable information.
    * Zango can be easily uninstalled at any time from “Add/Remove Programs” in your control panel. "

Only thing is, is most of these things cant be removed from add/remove because it automatically reinstalls it self and/or leaves crap behind slowing the machine down so much that the only thing left to do is completly reformat the machine or reinstall the browser.

buyoffit, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  9. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I always have something to say... so here goes.

The instant reaction is to question your sincerity. There's nothing to really base it on - the only history we have is that you can't be trusted.

One of my old photographers' web hosts stuck a gator install on her website and she knew nothing about it (supposedly), so it is possible that you didn't know what you were doing, albeit very unlikely.

The web site with all it's indexed pages and traffic screams bad neighborhood to me.

If I were to vote just based on what I see in this thread, I would say don't let them back in. I think the reputation of the DP Coop network is better served with one unhappy guy who inadvertently installed spyware on visitors and got banned than with thousands of sites who link to a web site that at least at one point installed spyware on visitor's computers.

Letting him back in means we need to monitor his site and not only does nobody have the time to do that, nobody wants to visit a site to see if it will install spyware on your computer once, let alone regularly.

nevetS, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  10. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    My 2cents. Funny that the guy defending wizteen only has one post. Ip check anyone. ;)

kyle422, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Plenty of coop copy cats he can still sign up for...

You are responsible for your website's content. 'Not knowing' it did that is irresposible. If you know that stuff you offer is being replaced without you knowing what it does then that tells us enough about your attitude to resposible webmaster ethics.

T0PS3O, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  12. wizteen

wizteen Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry I run about 25 websites. Its not easy checking them every single day with school and other things going on. When I first put this ad up that has caused all these issues it was just an active x popup it did not install anything automatically. Can't someone have a second chance or is it everyone's duty to rip them apart for something they werent even aware of and when awareness was brought, was fixed immediatly. I am trying to work with everyone and I am getting no support...

Sorry, Kyle

wizteen, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  13. WabbyTwax

WabbyTwax Peon

Best Answers:
    Why did you disable my accounts?

I did nothing wrong but simply tried to make some valid points. You even removed my last post.

I don't run any of those activex ads on my site so why did you set all of my weights back to 0 ?

WabbyTwax, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  14. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Then it sounds like you are running about 25 too many websites then. Better stick to school and the other things you have going on; and learn a bit more responsibility.

flawebworks, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  15. wizteen

wizteen Peon

Best Answers:
    That toolbar thing you seen I am guessing was this...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_infobar.mspx

It's an information bar you have to click on it to actually install it the stuff that was running did in fact ask you if you wanted to install. I have never had anything on my site that installed without the users permission, as this would be illegal and my site would most certainly be shut down imediatly.

Thanks, Kyle

wizteen, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  16. WabbyTwax

WabbyTwax Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I please have my accounts allowed to be weighted once again? I really think its a little unfair for that to be done to me when all I wanted was a fair conversation. I am providing over a million page impressions here and I don't run those activex ads all I was doing was simply trying to defend the poor kid. What exactly did I do wrong to deserve this?

17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you don't have control over your own sites, then your sites should not be in the co-op ad network, sorry.

No one disabled your accounts and no one deleted any posts. I have no idea what your accounts even are.

digitalpoint, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  18. WabbyTwax

WabbyTwax Peon

Best Answers:
    My accounts are
    WabbyTwax
    WabbyTwax2
    WabbyTwax3
    WabbyTwax4

The base weight on these accounts went to 0 on all 4.
    I had as high as a 50,000 base weight on one of them because Its a very popular and large website.

- John

19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's coincidental then, there is no manual overrides on this end. You can run the revalidate on your own if you have your own API key on your account.

digitalpoint, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  20. wizteen

wizteen Peon

Best Answers:
    First thing I have never ran anything on my sites that automatically installs. That was just the information bar asking you to install. I have been doing this for several years and this is the first I have ever heard of stuff installing automatically. I don't get why I am still banned I am breaking no rules, to me this seems unfair. I fixed the problem I removed the thing that asked you if you wanted to install.

Confused, Kyle

wizteen, Jan 31, 2005 IP