1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Flash usage....

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Shile, Dec 19, 2005.

I need (I want:) to use flash navigation menus, flash langage selector and other stuff on my website (what needs mouseover and cettera).
    I am doing php page with include or require functions...if I use flash for some mouseover effects I will be spared of making a huge list of javascript in my <head>.I dont want to call external .js file...I heard that its baad thing...

So the question is:
    What you think..shell I use a flash as many as I can (to avoid javascript mouseovers, navigation, banners and other stuff) or should I combine javascript and flash?

Do I with execive flash usage do somehting bad (like page size and % of users that dont have flash instaled)?

Please post a advice...tnx

Shile, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  2. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you should use flash for any informational purposes on your web site. Search Engines do not read flash, especialy if you will have a menu in flash, the only thing search bot will spider is your home page (unless you have text links on the bottom)

aspidov, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  3. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is nothing wrong with including an external js file.

If you want a decent mouseover menu go to www.milonic.com, add <noscript> tags for the search engines to read and you have the perfect website menu system.

dave487, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  4. token20

token20 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is nothing wrong with a flash menu as long as you have a secondary navigation elsewhere on the page made with text links to make sure you get properly indexed.

If you do not want to use flash, I would recommend CSS based menu's any day of javascript. They are SEO friendly and they are quite a bit lighter code wise then any javascript menu I have ever seen.

The number of browsers with flash installed is at an all time high, so I wouldn't worry about the users not having it. Unless you are using the new flash 8 in your menu (which would be silly anyway.)

I would say go ahead and use flash, but use it sparingly.

token20, Dec 20, 2005 IP