1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

First Post..Brand NEWBIE..AOM Question

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Canadian1974, Sep 20, 2006.

Hi, this is my first post..I have been reading posts here for about one month...you all seem very exciting...these forums pumped me up and made me want to try out Associate-O-Matic.
    I downloaded the script and uploaded it to my control manger...right now everything is sitting in my file manager. When I try and view the pages of my website...most pages are just "WHITE" while others say:
    "Application Error:
    You must enable read permission for the /aom directory.
    You must enable write permission for the /aom directory"

I know close to zero about PHP and scripts and this kind of stuff..can anyone try and help, do i need to put a code somewhere? I am using "Yahoo Hosting" and I can't find anywhere where it says to grant permission.
    Thanks for any help!

Canadian1974, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  2. Canadian1974

Canadian1974 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can anyone help me with this?...it is very frustrating...I have a ready-to-go marketing campaign that i want to start...but i can even install this program..I'm a marketer, not a programmer....any help will be greatly appreciated and I will share my marketing tips for this board...please help!

Canadian1974, Sep 21, 2006 IP
  3. sagetips

sagetips Peon

Best Answers:
    I change permissions via the FTP program (Filezilla) I use. Right-clicking on the file or directory brings up a "file attributes" section where you can change file permissions easily. I'd try right-clicking the file that needs to be changed (aom.php I believe) in the program you used for the upload

sagetips, Sep 21, 2006 IP
  4. Canadian1974

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. Although I am not sure that I understand. I downloaded the Associate-o-matic program, save it on my hard drive...and simply open it up Yahoo Hosting FTP upload.....if I understand correctly from your response, do I need to open the file in a FTP program, resave it and than upload it in my Yahoo Hosting?

Canadian1974, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  5. sagetips

sagetips Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, if you can view the already uploaded files through Filezilla, you can right click them and the option to change attributes appears. You don't need to "open" the file or resave it.

Filezilla is a free download and you may want to consider it.

Other suggestions: contact Yahoo Hosting support, put a post on the AOM forum and/or ask for AOM tech assistance.

Sorry I can't help more. I know things can get frustrating as I'm learning as I go too. Hang in there and over a time things will start falling in place.

These forums are quite helpful and I suspect someone who realy knows their stuff will happen along and give you a more useful reply than mine.

sagetips, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  6. Canadian1974

Best Answers:
    what about if i edit the PHP code...would that work?
    if so, what and where do i enter it?

thanks for everyones patience...this is extremely frustrating...someone should make a business installing AOM for people who know nothing like me!

Canadian1974, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  7. aeronautic.net

aeronautic.net Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to change the "permissions" on your server.

That's a pretty basic webmaster skill that should understand clearly before you try more website tasks - not being mean here - I'm suggesting that once you learn how to do that (ask your hosting sales rep for help if need be), you'll have this problem with AOM fixed.

Have you googled "web server permissions"?

It sounds like you are you using an FTP application, right?

If so, have you read the documentation on setting directory permissions?

If you have a web interface for admin from your company (such as cPanel), read that documentation - search for permissions.

The AOM docs explain which permissions to use. Read those too!

And no, don't edit the php files. You need to "tell" the "server" what the folder permissions need to be (folders are called out in the AOM install instructions).

Good luck!

aeronautic.net, Sep 22, 2006 IP